[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Binford4000's Beautiful Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Binford4000's Beautiful Reef

Wow,I really want to say thanks to CR and all the members for nominating my tank for the Tank of the Month. It's really a surprise and honor and just might get Mrs Binford to stop rubbing it in!

Background

I have been involved in the hobby since 1991 when I bought my wife a tank for christmas and we have been hooked ever since.This is my first solo tank tho so it feels pretty good to see it grow and to develop the system from all the years experience.Reefing has been a enjoyable hobby to share with my wife, it was her support and idea to do this tank and to redo it when it all went so wrong with the attack of every parasite and problem! So I rolled the sleeves up and decided to go with a mix tank instead of all SPS corals and concentrated on color and presentation.

Name:  aquarium-left.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  90.5 KBName:  aquarium-right.jpg
Views: 3387
Size:  83.1 KBName:  aquarium-middle.jpg
Views: 2429
Size:  95.3 KB

Equipment

The tank is an AGA 150 with dual overflows with two drains in each and a 75-gallon refugium. I drilled a four port closed loop that's driven off a Blue Line 70 HD pump. The return has four drop down ports and uses a external Blue Line 40 HD pump.

For flow, there are two Vortech MP40 wireless EcoSmart power heads that are synchronized in EcoSmart mode and also two MP10 wireless Vortech pumps synchronize with each other in crest mode. There's also a Koralia #4 used to ensure flow behind the rock work.

The skimmer is a Bubble King 180 mini and is heated with a titanium 800-watt main and a titanium 400-watt back up.I have recently installed a Reef Dynamics 250 NoPo reactor. The display lighting consists of four Aqua Illumination SOL super blue modules and three Ecoxotic ultra violet LED Stunner Strips. The fuge is lit with a evolution 120w 20k led module. The system is controlled via a Neptune Apex Controller with a Neptune VDM module for controlling the LED lighting. Dosing and top off is done with Liter Meter 3 Doser using BRS two part recipe one. I also utilize a BRS dual chamber reactor for GFO and carbon. I also have a 1/4-horsepower chiller and 37-watt ultra violet sterilizer installed.

Water Quality

Paramaters are maintained as follows:
    calcium: 425
    alkalinity 10 dkh
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate: currently at 70ppm...trying to get it under control with the biopellet reactor
    phosphate: don't routinely test unless there is an algae issue
    magnesium: ~1600-ppm.
    Salinity: 1.025 (I use Brightwell Neomarine Salt.)
    Strontium and iodine weekly.

Livestock

Livestock consist of yellow tang, hippo tang, clown wrasse, fairy wrasse, solar wrasse, banana wrasse, cogneto wrasse, six line wrasse, coris wrasse, four female anthias and a male, two Bartlett's anthias, two BW percula clownfish, ten blue chromis three fire fish and my newest addition a copper band.

Coral consist of Devils Armor, Armor of God, Everlasting Gobstopper, Carlito Alien Eye's, Captain America's, frogspown, torch corals, Purple Death palys, acans, Orange Crush Acans, blasto's, Nuclear Green palys, pink palythoas, pink zippers, Rastas, Bam Bams, chili coral, ORA red planet, blue and green stag, green hornet, Wayne's Reef Rainbow, frog skin, purple tip acro, GARF bonzi, pink birdsnest, green slimmer, Tyree pink lemonade, orange montipora, sunrise and rainbow millipora and japanese nuclear mini acans, wellsophyllia, green brain and some more I sure I have missed. Most of the frags I purchase are aquacultured to ensure minimal impact on the oceans coral reefs.

Clean up crew consist of ten emerald crabs(not sure of the number all I ever see is the claws lol),three pink cleaner shrimp,two coral banded shrimp,three mexican turbo snails and my favorite mini warriors the four harlequin shrimp who defeated the swarm of acro killing star fish.

Once again, thank you to CR and everyone who nominated my tank. And a really huge thank you to Mike aka @Poseidon for taking the awesome pictures and even better conversation. Here are a few more pics from Poseidon:

Eye Candy

Name:  wellsophylia.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  193.6 KBName:  toadstool.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  160.5 KBName:  frogspawn.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  176.7 KB
    Name:  coris-wrasse.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  129.5 KBName:  chromis.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  101.9 KBName:  anthias2.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  scoly.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  173.2 KBName:  green-palys.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  113.1 KBName:  clam.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  132.5 KB
    Name:  rainbow-montipora.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  175.8 KBName:  acro.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  151.5 KBName:  armor-of-gods.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  113.7 KB

[attach]4879[/attach]
    [attach]4884[/attach]
    [attach]4885[/attach]
    [attach]4886[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by jimsflies; 06-08-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Likes AJ :) liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am looking forward to seeing this tank in person! Way to go on TOTM man!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this tank in person! Way to go on TOTM man!
    Thanks Chris,looking forward to haveing you come and visit and those frags also !!!

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

What an amazing tank! Congrats on TOTM! Such a diverse selection, I could look for hours.

Thanks for sharing.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Terrific tank Chuck! Thanks for sharing your beautiful tank with us here on CR. Also great job @Poseidon with the photos!
    Likes binford4000 liked this post

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Beautiful, man! Just stunning.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

CONGRATS!!

Well deserved honor IMO.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Congratulations the tank is spectacular!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Chuck!!!! Well deserved for sure
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

thanks everyone !!! I'm glad ya like it and humbled by some of your comments honestly. I am really pleased with the tank but am really looking forward to how it will look when it's grown out.Once it's fully grown out I think it will be a neat tank then it will be time to do the dream tank !! shhh don't tell mrs ninford tho lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last