[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dejavu's Angelic Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    dejavu - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Brian
    Awards Tank of the Month - April 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Dejavu's Angelic Reef

Introduction
    I would like to start by thanking my wife Tracy, my two daughters Nadia and Anya, Captive Reefs and the online reefing communities that have allowed me to share my dedication to the hobby that we all share a passion for. There have been so many tanks and hobbyists that have inspired me to reach where I am today.

My name is Brian Vu; most of you will recognize me as Dejavu from the online boards. I live in Hudsonville, MI, which is a small suburb outside of Grand Rapids, MI. I have always been grateful to live in an area where there has been such a great network of reefers. Every day I am grateful to have met and made friends with so my great people who share this same passion.

The Beginning
    As a young child I can always remember having an aquarium in my house. I mostly kept tropical fish or native fish that I would spend my summer collecting. It wasn't until 1998 that my interest in saltwater aquariums began. I can remember spending hours studying my good friend Dave's tank, amazed at the fish and corals that he had housed in his tank. The complexity of life in such a closed environment was what sent me over the edge.

It wasn't long before Dave helped me setup a 40 gallon reef tank of my own. After a few different setups over a few years I moved onto a 90 gallon SPS setup, where my first struggle in reefing began. It wasn't long after that that I joined my first online community searching for answers.

Current Setup
    As my passion for SPS grew, so did my need for space. My 90 gallon tank could no longer hold my desire for collecting corals. About the same time my tank was out grown, so was the house that my wife and I lived in. Our search for a new house also began the planning of my "dream setup". Due to a slow housing market, I was had 2 years for planning and saving.

Finding the right house that fit my family and tank needs was a bit of a challenge. Once we found the house that we wanted, the final touches to my setup could be put in place. I ordered a 270 gallon tank from Miracles in Glass. The tank is viewable through Starphire glass on three sides, and I selected a center overflow due to my space limitations.

Since there wasn't an ideal place for an in-wall setup and fish room, it was very important to have a stand that could house all my equipment and at the same time be appealing to the eye. I had a few goals that had to be
    met with the stand and canopy as it played a major part in the setup. Function and durability were at the top of this list.
    Functionality was important because I wanted to keep things easy to work on. The stand can be accessed from all four sides of the tank though double sided doors. At the same time if the doors aren't big enough the whole cover of the stand can be removed to access in the event of a major problem. The canopy has access from all four sides too. The reflectors for the lights are mounted on a track at the top of the canopy. The reflectors can be removed from the end of the tank for cleaning.

Durability was also important because I wanted a facing that would withstand water, but still look new years down the road. From past tanks I knew that wood finished stain can't take the consistent water spill and still look new. I decided on facing the stand and canopy with black counter-top laminate, as it is easy to clean and holds up to water well. The inside of the stand and canopy were painted white with oil-base (4 coats) paint, the SPAR urethane (6-7 coats) for the outside of the stand frame, to prevent any water rot.

Filtration
    As we all know water quality is very important. Throughout my time in this hobby, I have used a few different skimmers. I have yet to have one that I have been happier with than the current one I have. The tank is filtered with a Bubble King DeLuxe 250 internal. Besides skimming, I also use GFO in a PM SR45 media reactor and carbon in a TLF PhosBan Reactor. All drains have filter socks on them to aid with detritus removal.

Water Circulation and Flow
    Currently the flow in my tank is provided by three Tunze 6105's. They are controlled by a Neptune Apex controller. I have plans to add more flow down the road as the corals grow, but for now this is enough. The return flow is managed by a Sequence Dart. Off the return line is a manifold that runs my calcium reactor, PM SR45 media reactor and the TLF PhosBan Reactor. I do plan to replace the return pump, but have not yet decided on a replacement.

Lighting
    When it comes to light, there are so many choose available, in the end it's a personal choice. For me that choice is metal halides. It might be a little old school, but I have had very good success with this choice and many of the tanks that inspire me have used the same.

When I first planed the lighting for the tank, the plan was to use VHO's for supplement with three 400w metal halides running Radiums bulbs with Lumarc Reflectors. After seeing the Radiums in action, I didn't see a need for supplement lighting. To be honest I probably would be fine with three 250w metal halides, but for now I'm happy with the current setup.

Maintenance, Supplements and Feeding
    Everyone has a goal of having beautiful corals. In my opinion it starts with a good and steadily maintenance program. Weekly maintenance is done with 50 gallon water changes, cleaning of the skimmer cup and testing for alkalinity, phosphates and salinity. Monthly, or as needed maintenance
    includes cleaning all pumps in vinegar, changing media, and cleaning the sump.

I'm a strong believer in not adding anything to your tank that you do not test for. In following that belief I don't add many supplements other then magnesium on the occasion it is low. Alkalinity and calcium are held in check via a GEO 624 calcium reactor.

I feed a mixture of frozen food a few times a day. I guess you could say I'm a heavy feeder, but I manage feeding a lot by feeding small amounts more frequently. I'm not a big fan of feeding reef tanks flake or pellet foods as they are normally higher in phosphates. It's not to say I don't use them, I do, but only in for fish quarantine.

<table style="color:#f1f1f1"><tr><td style="width:270;text-align: center">
    <br /><br />Name:  african-flameback-angel.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  186.0 KB
    Name:  yellow-pyramid-butterfly.jpg
Views: 3611
Size:  86.9 KB
    Name:  multicolor-angelfish.jpg
Views: 2983
Size:  64.8 KB</td><td>
    Livestock

Livestock, this is why we are all in the hobby. For me this is the best part. As you might have seen I'm addicted to SPS corals. As long as I can remember SPS corals have excited me. To this day that excitement is still here. I would say 90% of my corals in my tank are SPS, from "collector/designer" corals to your everyday "common" SPS. In the end whatever catches my eye ends up in the tank.

Keeping fish has been a growing interest as my time in this hobby has grown. I find myself spending as much time looking for the next fish to add to my system, as I do looking for that next coral. Currently angels and butterfly fish have my attention. Over the next few years I plan to expand my current fish list with a few select choices, but for now here is my current fish stock.

Centropyge acanthops (African Flameback Angelfish)
    2x Centropyge multicolor (Multicolor Angelfish)
    2x Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus (Singapore Angelfish)
    Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis (Blue Line Angelfish)
    2x Hemitaurichthys polylepis (Yellow Pyramid Butterfly)
    Acreichthys tomentosus (Matted Filefish)
    Ctenochaetus tominiensis (Bristletooth Tomini Tang)
    Zebrasoma flavescens (Yellow Tang)
    3x Cirrhilabrus jordani (Flame Wrasse)
    Halichoeres iridis (Radiant Wrasse)

<td style="width:270; text-align: center"><br /><br />Name:  singapore-angelfish.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  82.2 KB
    Name:  matted-filefish.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  bristletooth-tomini-tang.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  73.0 KB
    </td></tr></table>

Eye Candy

Name:  topdown 11.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  106.8 KBName:  topdown 09.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  60.9 KBName:  topdown 10.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  topdown 08.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  74.5 KBName:  CR TOTM 101.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  82.8 KBName:  CR TOTM 065.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  64.3 KB
    Name:  topdown 06.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  74.6 KBName:  CR TOTM 009.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  63.7 KBName:  CR TOTM 010.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  146.4 KB
    Name:  CR TOTM 001.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  58.3 KBName:  CR TOTM 002.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  69.3 KBName:  CR TOTM 003.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  61.6 KB
    Name:  CR TOTM 004.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  87.1 KBName:  topdown 01.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  86.4 KBName:  topdown 02.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  79.8 KB
    Name:  CR TOTM 009.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  63.7 KBName:  CR TOTM 010.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  146.4 KBName:  CR TOTM 011.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  189.1 KB
    Name:  topdown 03.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  73.6 KBName:  topdown 04.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  85.2 KBName:  topdown 05.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  CR TOTM 012.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  81.8 KBName:  CR TOTM 013.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  68.1 KBName:  topdown 07.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  89.7 KB

Acknowledgements
    Once again I would like to thank my wife and two daughters, without their support I would have never reached this point. I would also like to give thanks to GRMAS and the supporting members, all the friends that I have made while being in this hobby, and CR and all the other online communities that allow us to share this hobby that we all enjoy so much. Lastly, a big thanks to all the LFS in my area, without them many of us would never have thought about starting this hobby.

[attach]4656[/attach]
    [attach]4663[/attach]
    [attach]4666[/attach]
    [attach]4667[/attach]

[attach]4668[/attach]
    [attach]4669[/attach]
    [attach]4670[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by jimsflies; 06-08-2012 at 10:21 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Awesome reef Brian! Also nice job on the photos and write up!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Congrats on the well desearved tank of the month!!!

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Beautiful tank and write-up (Love your organized sump) - Congratulations Brian!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Very nice.....congrats

First Name
    Brian

Thanks everyone! This is truly an honor. Thanks to all the CR staff that made this possible for me.

estanoche - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joanne
    Awards Tank of the Month - March 2012 Tank of the Month

+1 Great tank!! You put mine to shame hahahaha
    SAY NO TO FISH STICKS - Put screened and vented lids on your tanks, and save your wrasse

Current tank: 80 Gal XXL Reef & 25 Gal Cube QT

Friend me up on FB too!
    50201061558882069332143 - Dejavu's Angelic Reef

CR Member

Congratulations Brian!!! You deserve Tank of the Month for your dedication and commitment to your tank and the reefing community at large. Your tank truly is a work of art!

CR Member
    First Name
    John

Beautiful Brian grats! Absolutely sweet!

First Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by estanoche View Post
    +1 Great tank!! You put mine to shame hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by BWsReef View Post
    Congratulations Brian!!! You deserve Tank of the Month for your dedication and commitment to your tank and the reefing community at large. Your tank truly is a work of art!
    Quote Originally Posted by purerebel View Post
    Beautiful Brian grats! Absolutely sweet!
    Thanks Everyone!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last