[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Manoj's Mixed Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Default Manoj's Mixed Reef

Introduction:

My name is Manoj Patnala. I live in Troy, Michigan. I have been in this hobby for a little more than 2 years and being voted TOTM makes me very happy. I would like to thank everybody who nominated my tank for the TOTM and also I would like to thank Captive Reefs for giving me this opportunity. I have always been interested in a mixed reef and I have been slowly working on my little piece of ocean over the past two years.

Background:

After seeing a reef tank setup at a show, I knew I had to have one. Coincidentally, I discovered a colleague at my office was also into reefkeeping and he showed me where and how to get all the information I needed. I started the hobby with modest infrastructure and quickly learned what was needed to be successful.

During my first six months in the hobby I learned how expensive this hobby can be and soon took steps to control the expense. I invested in good equipment and healthy corals even if it took me little extra time to save up. Also I did a lot of reading and discussions with fellow hobbyists who had more experience than me. I have concluded over these years that it's best to keep the system natural and simple.

Setup:

I started with a 40 breeder with an external overflow, DIY T5 light and canopy, 10gallon refugium, coralife skimmer, phosphate reactor and UV reactor. After a year into the hobby I had to move to a new place and this was my opportunity to upgrade. I upgraded to a 65gallon tank with a 30gallon refugium. The tank has an inbuilt low profile glass holes overflow box. The primary pump that runs the whole system is an Ehiem 1260. The power heads that provide the water flow in the tank are two Tunze 6045. The Ehiem 1260 also feeds into my external DNW150 reef octopus skimmer and phosphate reactor. Also the salinity is maintained by replenishing the evaporated water by Tunze Osmolator.

The water from the display tank goes into the glass holes overflow box and to the sump. There the water interacts with carbon and then goes into the mid chamber of the refugium. The mid section has a 3 inch sand bed, 25 lbs of rock and grape calupra. The water flows rather slowly in this section. From there on it gets filtered by a sponge and goes into the last chamber where it gets pumped back into the display. As the water is pumped into the display it's also pumped into the skimmer and phosphate reactor.

I initially had a lot of liverock in the tank. However, I realized I preferred an aquascape with two "islands". I think this aquascape looks balanced, enables better flow, and provides more spots to place corals.

Equipment:

Display: 36 inches x 18 inches x 24 inches
    Refugium: 30 inches x 12 inches x 16 inches
    Overflow system: 700gph glass holes overflow
    Water Movement: Two 6045 Tunze pumps
    Skimmer: DNW150 Reef Octopus external recirculating skimmer
    Lights: 5 High Output T5 bulbs with SLR's run by workhorse ballasts
    Bulb Configuration: Front to Back: ATI Blue+, ATI aqua blue, ATI blue+, ATI aqua blue, ATI blue+
    Auto Top Off : Tunze Osmolator

Dosing:

I choose the two part dosing method as I was able to understand the method better and it required less equipment and less space. I use two BRS dosing pumps and dose two times in 24 hrs to maintain the calcium and alkalinity levels. I hand dose magnesium once every two to three weeks.

Lessons Learned:

Nothing happens fast in your tank. Everything takes time to grow so sometimes its best to keep your hand out of the tank and let everything grow. Check parameters at least once every week and make sure to buy a good test kit and testing equipment. The last thing you want is to make changes in your chemistry based on results from a bad test kit or equipment. Things that work for other reefers does not have to work for your setup so always do lots of reading and ask as many questions as you can. Invest in good equipment as the last thing you want is an equipment failure when you are gone. Try to buy corals from a reputable source, all it takes is one bug and it can wipe the entire system.

Acknowledgments:

I would like to thank my wife who has contributed to my reefs success and my family for supporting my efforts. Also I would like to thank the reefers community who provided me with all the information and support when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Loving it!!!! Awsome pics! Nice job manoj!

Great TOTM!!!! Very deserving!
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 11-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Thanks for sharing your tank with us Manoj! Great job!!!!

Great job Manoj!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

very nice manoj! is it possble we can get some closer picture of them gem pieces on the sand bed?

Reeftanker - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    David

Default Tank of the Month!

Congratulations Manoj, awsome reef! Would love to see more pics of your zoos.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Loving it so far!!!! Awsome pics! Nice job manoj!
    Thanks Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Thanks for sharing your tank with us Manoj! Great job!!!!
    Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Great job Manoj!
    Thanks Andy for all the inputs that you provided to get my SPS rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    very nice manoj! is it possble we can get some closer picture of them gem pieces on the sand bed?
    Thanks Justin, I will try to take some and update my showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeftanker View Post
    Congratulations Manoj, awsome reef! Would love to see more pics of your zoos.
    Thank you David, I will take some more pics of my zoas and post it in my reefshow case.

CR Member

Beautiful tank, thanks for sharing!

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

Congratulations!!!!! Well deserved. Keep up the awesome work.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Sweeeet! Very nice set-up and display tank. Congrates on Tank of the Month.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last