[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mr. Microscope's Nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Mr. Microscope's Nano

Background

I've been reefing since about 2009 when I started with a little 3 gallon pico reef in my office. This really allowed me to delve into the hobby without loosing my shirt with super expensive equipment. The pico also allowed me to get over my, "new tank syndrome." As a scientist I'm always doing research and I approach this hobby the same way. For my current project, I carefully researched and planned every aspect of the build including all pieces of equipment, livestock, and DIY projects (drilling glass, plumbing, LED's, etc.). It took me a good year to figure out everything, but it was worth it.

In-Tank Aesthetics

Design is an important aspect in my life and especially in my aquarium. In order to avoid the pile-of-rocks look, I took extra care planning out the rockwork and where corals should go. This gave me a basic framework to build off of when the tank actually got wet.

For this tank, I took inspiration from John Ciotti's Upside Down Reef. One thing I learned with my pico is that unstable rock can be a disaster. Also, being the minimalist that I am, I really like lots of open sandbed. Hense, topsy-turvy rockwork really appealed to me.

Tank Specs

DT: 25 Gallon Mr. Aqua Cube (18 x 18 x 18)
    Sumpfugium: 7 Gallon Mr. Aqua Cube (12 x 12 x 12)
    Return Pump: Mag Drive 3
    Heater: 100 watt Aqueon Pro
    Heater controller: Finnex Max-300 Digital Heat Controller $20!
    Skimmer: Bubble Magus nac3
    Circulation: Ecotech MP10 Nutrient Transport Mode 85-90%
    Lighting: DIY LED with Boost LED Typhon Controller
    8x RB, 4x Blue, 4x TV, 2x 660nm Red, 6x NW, 4x CW + 1x 1watt 450nm moon light
    Stand: Custom built with white acrylic coating, doors open on three sides and lock
    Fuge light: Underwater 10W Halogen Light with timer
    Filtration: LR, Filter floss, Skimmer, Chaetomorpha and various Macros

Rock/Sand
    Reefcleaners Florida Dry Reef Rock (for the pillar)
    BRS Pukani (live for seed)
    Tropic Eden Reef Flakes Sand

On DIY

I both love and hate DIY. I've DIY'd pretty much every aspect of this tank from the LED lighting, to plumbing and the sump. I really like the Elos Mini and was trying to replicate it at a cheaper cost. Considering all the time I spent and money thrown at things like drill bits, and acrylic, I probably could have purchased the Elos had I just saved a bit longer. However, the skills I learned and experience gained during the build are priceless and I'd probably never buy a factory setup or lighting in the future. Knowing how to do things has given me new confidence to DIY more and allowed me to daydream a little more practically and accurately about future builds.

Maintenance

Being a new dad has really made maintenance a challenge. However, since establishing this tank back in February, I've found a system that seems to keep things in balance.
    Daily:
    Dose Vitamin C (about 2mL)
    Clean algae inside glass with magnetic scraper
    Clean tiny fingerprints on the outside from my 8 month old (he's the only one that can get away with it LOL!)
    Feed the fish. I rotate between pellets and frozen every other day (my Bangaii cardinal only takes frozen)
    Top off the sump from evaporation with RO/DI (Don't have an ATO yet)
    Observe every nook and cranny identifying new growth, pests, and livestock behavior
    Weekly:
    15% Water change (sometimes twice/week if there's extra algae and I have the time)
    Spot feed corals about twice/week usually with pellets or frozen, sometimes with cyclope-eze, oyster eggs, or live phyto
    Clean Skimmer
    Replace filter floss
    Manually remove minor hair algae growth

Livestock

Fish: 2x Percula Clowns (captive bred), 1x Bangaii Cardinal (captive bred)

CUC: A few hermits (left-handed purple, zebra, and blue legs), about 8 nassaius vibex, 2 turbo snails, and lots and lots of dwarf ceriths (IDK, 200?)

Unexpected but welcome hitchhickers: Colonista snails, stomatella varia snail, lots of tiny featherduster worms, bristle worms, micro-brittle starfish, various sand dwelling worms (spaghetti, filamentous, etc.)

Corals:
    SPS
    Various Acropora
    Anacropora
    Montipora Cap.
    Montipora Digitata
    Montipora Satosa
    Stylophora
    Seriatopora (birdsnest)
    Milliporas
    Most of my SPS are the fancy ones (ORA, Tyree, etc.). What can I say, I love candy! The downside to that however, is that most of them started from extremely small frags. As a result, I don't have a lot of pointy trees yet, but I'm looking forward to watching everything fill in.

LPS
    Torch Coral
    Acan Lords
    Fungia
    I'm working on building an Acan garden on the sandbed around the pillar, as well as a torch garden for my clowns to host. I love nems, but didn't want to risk it, hence balls-out torches baby!

Soft Corals
    Various Zoas
    Yumas
    Papaya Cloves
    I am a recovering zoa-freak. These were my main passion when I got into the hobby. I about memorized all the popular shop names and have since backed off a little, but I still love these guys and will continue to collect/trade whether it's in my display or just on my frag rack.

Other Inverts:
    ORA Tiger Stripe Derasa Clam

Name:  Yellow-Torch02-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  58.1 KB Name:  Derasa-Clam02-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  65.7 KB Name:  Satosa01-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  41.1 KB

Disasters, Setbacks, and Regrets

So far, I haven't run into any major disasters. Knock on wood, there haven't been any power outages since starting my tank. Though, this could become a problem, as I don't have any battery backup.

Probably, my biggest loss of life was when I overdosed with flatworm exit and nuked my population of dwarf ceriths and pods. I also lost a rather large purple porcelain crab during a molt. I've suffered some hair algae, though it seems to be under control at the moment.

I purchased a four-line wrasse a few months ago. It was a beautiful fish and did a number on any pests in the tank (it almost wiped out my flatworms). However, it started to get more and more territorial. Eventually, it claimed the whole rock pillar as its territory, kicking the clowns out of their happy spot. I could have tolerated this, but then it started bullying my clowns to the point that they were jumping out of the tank when he came to pick on them. One of my clowns still has fins healing from these events. I don't regret getting it as it was a learning experience, but I had to let it go to restore peace to the tank.

Probably, my biggest regret is having such a small sump. There's really not much room to move around in there and having such a small water volume has forced me to dig into the DT when doing water changes. It is unfortunate that no standard sized tanks will fit in my stand.

Name:  OrganismsRB-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  62.0 KB Name:  Fungia-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  35.3 KB Name:  ORA-Birdsnest-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  73.6 KB

Future Plans

This tank is only about five months old and has already gone through a lot of upgrades. My LED's are about at their maximum output right now. I'm planning to do some rewiring and add another driver channel to get a little more PAR. I may also add a few LED's. I've been extremely happy with the growth and color that I'm getting out of them. +1 for LED technology!

I'd like to upgrade to a larger custom sump, but honestly I'll probably just spend the money on more corals. LOL!
    I've recently cemented down the last of my loose dry rock. So, I now have a little more room to add corals on the bottom without worrying about my giant turbo snails knocking things over.

In addition to cementing rocks in place on the main structure, I've started expanding to the back wall. I'm slowly cementing rubble to the glass and plan to expand SPS and zoas out there.

I'm planning to hold off on adding fish for a while. As far as moving creatures go, I'd like to add an interesting invert along the lines of a crab or shrimp. Right now, a colony of micro porcelain crabs is at the top of my list (like 10+).
    My long term goal is to add some sun corals or dendros in the dark areas of the pillar, a-la-John Ciotti.

Long-long term..I'm thinking about building a drop-off tank! But that's another story..and another tank.

Name:  Cloves01-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  Acans-Macro-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  100.4 KB Name:  favia-macro-2012.07.25.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  50.2 KB

Acknowledgements

I'd like to thank Captive Reef for choosing me as TOTM. I feel truly honored to be chosen. I'd also like to thank all my friends here at Captive Reefs for your support and advice over the years.

[attach]5389[/attach]
    [attach]5407[/attach]
    [attach]5408[/attach]
    [attach]5409[/attach]
    [attach]5410[/attach]
    [attach]5420[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by jimsflies; 08-02-2012 at 03:58 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Awesome nano reef! Thanks for being a contributor here on CR!

CR Member
    First Name
    Gary

Default Sweet!!

Awesome DIY stuff. My diy leaves a lot to be desired. You have inspired me to be more frugal than i have been and start saving cash. Let me know when your ready for dendros or sun polyps. We can trade for some frags. Great Job! I will keep a eye on you for future builds.

Thanks sugargary! Happy to inspire!

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Congratulations! Your tank your tank looks great. It is fun to read the threads of a fellow scientist

Thanks BC!

I forgot to mention in my acknowledgements, "Thanks Eric for helping me take awesome pics with your killer DSLR!"

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

That is one sweet nano !! Nicely done

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I've enjoyed watching this tank grow from the paper sketches... well deserved TOTM.

What's the theory for daily addition of vitamin C?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    That is one sweet nano !! Nicely done
    Thanks binford!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I've enjoyed watching this tank grow from the paper sketches... well deserved TOTM.

What's the theory for daily addition of vitamin C?

Tom
    Thanks Tom!

There's been a lot of documentation about vitamin C and benefits to zoas. As a zoa freak I found out about it. I'm not sure if it's helping them or not, but I've noticed better general health of all inhabitants especially if something gets injured. About a month ago, I knocked a big chunk of birdnest into my clam sitting beneath it. It closed up for several days and when it did finally open back up again, there was a giant hole in the middle larger than the intake. I thought for sure it was a goner, but it slowly began to heal up and now the hole is completely healed and the clam is as healthy as ever. I have no proof, but I believe the Vitamin C may have helped as it's thought to boost the immune system of livestock. The biggest difference I've noticed since I started dosing with Vitamin C is that my Dwarf Ceriths have been super active. Before dosing, they were very lethargic. Now, as soon as the lights start dimming, they go nuts all over the glass.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That's interesting info. on the vitamin C. My zoas have been looking kinda bad lately... I may have to try it out. Are you using a "reef specific" vitamin C product or something "over the counter"?

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last