[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Darwin Clowns

Bookmark and Share
  1. Darwin Clowns Darwin Clowns

Information
    Reef Safe: yes
    Care Level: Easy
    Min. Tank Size: 29 gallon
    Temperament: Aggressive
    Dominant Color: Black
    Disease Prone: low occurrence
    Jumper: low occurrence
    Tank Mates: Firefish Hooded Female Fairy Wrasse Blue Eyed Midas Blenny Goby Yellow Tang Diamond Back Watchman Goby 2 Pajama Cardinals
    First Name
    Vicki

Additional Information & Description

[IMG]DSC 9631 zps4b64cd4a - Darwin Clowns[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC 9645 zpse735082c - Darwin Clowns[/IMG]

I have a pair of these. They are bullies to the new guys that come into the tank. Right now they are picking on my Firefish. It seems all the newbies are enamored by their rock that they are so territorial about. I don't know what it is about that crazy rock.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 01-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Always learning, loving this hobby.

Funny cause I've been told clowns aren't territorial unless they've been alone for along time.
    My clown however was alone and was territorial.
    Try putting them in a qt for a week or so. And addin them last.
    It worked for me. They just need a reset so to speak.
    Beautiful clowns. I personally want black ones too

Good luck

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

those are actually just regular black clowns, onyx clowns have orange fins and face. But nice nonetheless and yeah clowns are aggressive
    Likes tcp316 liked this post

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by demonclownfish View Post
    those are actually just regular black clowns, onyx clowns have orange fins and face. But nice nonetheless and yeah clowns are aggressive
    You know, I was wondering. They were tiny when I got them and they had a lot of orange. They have gotten more and more black with almost all the orange disappearing.

Thanks for letting me know

As soon as I get my screen built for my Isolation tank, I am going to attempt to isolate them for a few weeks and see if they tone it down a bit on the one poor firefish. I love that guy. He isn't getting battered but they only let him out for about 5 minutes. Today, he was braver and came back out several times after they ran him under his rock.
    The midas goby takes up for him and so does the fairy wrasse. It's funny to watch them all band around him and attempt to take care of him. I think that is why he was braver today.:D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by demonclownfish View Post
    yea demons right there not onyx clowns witch would be a perc. there Darwin occ they don't get there full black till they get mature can take a 2 years
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Sedrostyle View Post
    Funny cause I've been told clowns aren't territorial unless they've been alone for along time.
    My clown however was alone and was territorial.
    Try putting them in a qt for a week or so. And addin them last.
    It worked for me. They just need a reset so to speak.
    Beautiful clowns. I personally want black ones too

Good luck
    some clowns can be relay bad my Darwin female draws blood any time i go in to clean there tile yet i have a pair of marrons witch are know to be territorial but they swim through my finger and play this noramly happens when one turns to the female and they bond but can happen at any age
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Thanks for the update. I did not know they were Darwin Occys. I learned something today. I bought them from another reefer who bred them. He had an awesome setup. I was all overwhelmed and impressed with all of his tanks and set up. He had an awesome Display tank in the living room which i thought was fabulous and then downstairs his basement had a wall of small tanks with all different baby clowns and a HUGE frag tank (much bigger than my DT) and a room off of that with ANOTHER tank! His skimmer was taller than me!

His set up was more impressive than most LFS's I have been in. AND.... it was immaculate to boot. I have had several surgeries since then and can't remember who it was or where he lived. I remember his street was off like I thought I was driving in an alley but it wasn't. It was dark so I thought I made a wrong turn. Very nice place. He was keeping babies for a friend that breeds clowns, I think he is also a clown expert. Wish I remembered. Anesthesia really messes my memory up.