[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Red Spot Cardinalfish

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Red Spot Cardinalfish Red Spot Cardinalfish

Information
    Scientific Name: Apogon parvulus
    Reef Safe: yes
    Care Level: Difficult
    Min. Tank Size: 29 gallon
    Temperament: Passive
    Dominant Color: Blue
    Disease Prone: average occurrence
    Jumper: average occurrence
    First Name
    Jim

Additional Information & Description

I'm considering this fish. Wondered if anyone has ever kept them?

They look like a cool nano fish.

Sorry for the bad pic...darn fish swimming and trying to get a pic with my phone. I will update with a better one if I can.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I really like this fish and have been reading everything I can find about if for quite sometime. From what I understand the their survival rate is not so good. They'll acclimate to a tank and do fine for awhile then slowly drop off. That said I still may try my hand at them someday.

Would you mind sharing where the pic is from and how much your source is charging for them?

Tom

PS with your recent track record with fish I think you should buy them and put them in my tank!
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 12-09-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added PS

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@Preuss Pets got several of them in this week. They are going for $19.99.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

From the reading I have done, they don't ship too well and should settle in for awhile before being transferred again. And yeah it seems they may be more difficult to keep. I wonder if feeding them is an issue...most with success seem to feed 5-6 times a day.

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    @Preuss Pets got several of them in this week. They are going for $19.99.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

From the reading I have done, they don't ship too well and should settle in for awhile before being transferred again. And yeah it seems they may be more difficult to keep. I wonder if feeding them is an issue...most with success seem to feed 5-6 times a day.
    Can you say... Superfeeder?

From what I've read these are a "long-term goal" fish for me. Meaning I might consider getting them in 4-5 years (unless there is a breakthrough discovery on how to keep them successfully). When I'm ready to add more cardinalfish I'll be going with either a couple of orange stripes or banggais. Just my $0.02.

As stated earlier I would, however; be willing to house them for you.

Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The size is very appealing for a nano tank.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Jim just get a Flaming Prawn Goby that's my dream fish and would love to see one in your tank before I invest the $100.00 for this lil tiny fish
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

These cardinals hang out in the water column and seem to school. I think the flaming prawn would be another no see um fish.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    These cardinals hang out in the water column and seem to school. I think the flaming prawn would be another no see um fish.
    Yeah your right but still one of the prettiest lil fish I've ever no-see-em!! LOL Those cardinals sure are sweet though. I've never seen them before. Not bad priced either. Funny how they're so hard to care for compared to the other cardinals. What about a small school of Neon Gobys?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Tom

Reefs Magazine - Keeping the Dwarf Cardinalfish (Apogon parvulus)

Good read on them. Looks like with good handling at distributers and retail shops along with frequent feeding is the key with these guys.

I'm still going to wait awhile before I give them a shot. Let us know what you decide Jim.

Tom

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

looks alot like a tetra to me.....

No offence to anyone who likes this fish, but you can buy a 10 gallon freshwater set up and 2 tetras for the price of one of those cardinals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last