[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Splendid Garden Eel

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
  1. Splendid Garden Eel Splendid Garden Eel

Information
    Scientific Name: Gorgasia preclara
    Other Names: garden eel
    Group: Eels
    Reef Safe: yes
    Care Level: Expert Only
    Min. Tank Size: 50 gallon
    Temperament: Passive
    Dominant Color: Yellow
    Disease Prone: average occurrence
    Jumper: high occurrence
    Tank Mates: Pipefish.
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Additional Information & Description

I was introduced to these animals for the first time today, i had never seen them the trade before. It looked so cool I just had to have it, although i wouldn't have gotten it if they didn't tell me it had been living in the store for some time, just never sold because it was always hiding in the sand bed.

When I got home and had a chance to read about them i became very discouraged because I read that they don't really survive in captivity. But after adding a few frozen enriched brine to the task a weight was lifted, he didn't eat any but chased them for a split second, which shows interest. These things can be very shy and im sure me watching closely today affects his eating habits.

Also i read that tank decorations should be kept to a minimum, which I disagree with. The first thing it did when it was introduced to the tank was start hosting my dragons breath.

I'm sure this will be a learning experience.

Here are some pics....

IMG 20121006 153943 - Splendid Garden Eel

IMG 20121006 153854 - Splendid Garden Eel

IMG 20121006 153809 - Splendid Garden Eel

IMG 20121006 153728 - Splendid Garden Eel

VID 20121006 153030mp4 - Splendid Garden Eel

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I saw them featured on Nat Geo once. Living buried within the sand. Most beautiful lil Eel for sure.
    I wish you and him/her the best
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Thanks miz.

Just an update. It moved to the sand bed last night. Right dead center in front!!!!! So glad he made his home right where you can see him from across the room.

And even bigger news, its eating frozen foods!!! As long as I leave the flow on it does grab a few pieces. This morning I missed it when my head was turned but my girl friend said she saw it eat, then later while taking a break from studying i decided to give it another go. And saw him eat 3 pieces of mysis.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wonderful news Deputt88!!! How exciting! Keep the pics coming ok. I really like that lil guy
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

petercar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    larry

You can take a train ride to chicago and while your there go to the john shedd aquarium and theres a tank with the garden eels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I had three for awhile. Be very careful. One swam directly into a powerhead and the other two jumped. After the first one jumped I was sure I had protected the tank from them jumping but he did some how. The one that swam into the powerhead swam right into one day. Head first. It was sad.

First Name
    Doug

yeah i have heard that shed has them, ill have to go check them out one day.

yeah i have a glass lid, now i just have to hop it doesnt go into the power head, but so far it found the sand bed and has stayed put.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Feeding

That is so cool he/she is eating frozen food. I bet that beautiful creature would love some saltwater acclimated feeder guppies for a treat once in a while! Yum. Plus he'd get some good exercise.

First Name
    Doug

I didn't know you could acclimate guppies to salt water.... i have seen eels fed feeder fish on a kabob stick of sorts though. Ifyiu could please let me know the best way too feed him feeder guppies its something i will certainly try.

First Name
    Doug

i got feeder guppies today, they are in a 5.5 gal tank under the cube that houses the eel. im feeding them brine shrimp which are in salt water, so with the brine comes a little bit of salt water, and im gonna keep them in brackish water and then feed the young ones to the eel as thay breed, hopefully this will work. but doesnt really matter if it doesnt because it only cost me $2 for 20 guppies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last