[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Splendid Garden Eel

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Well it has been more than a month. But yeah maybe i should have worded that a little different. Seems to stay in one spot for extended amounts of time, a few weeks, then move....

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

i seen hes reef safe have u seen any rock slides our any corals on the sand moved around would luv to get one of these but got a lot of high end stuff on the sand bed so kinda iffy about it
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

No. They dont disturb the sand bed much, from my readings they are able to make a tunnel and they just live in the tunnel that is smaller an a pencil.

However,for consistent feeding you will need laminar flow,it keeps the food suspended for some time, the eel will arrange itself to face into the flow.
    Also they are shy. Other fish in the tank will scare it back into the sand bed, that is unless the tank mates are slow moving and peaceful. Like sea horses and pipe fish. I had to add a wrasse from another tank to prevent some bullying, the eel doesnt like it very much.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

ahh ok good to know no need to try one then as i have 2 tang and a lawnmower blenny who run wild and bully most fish i add manly the blenny
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Doug

Plus i don't see the excessive feeding needed for this fish working well with a reef. I add flakes about 5 times a day to feed him

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That is good news. They are so cool popping in and out of the sand bed. Now, you need to get him a friend, because the only thing better than a garden eel is two.

First Name
    Doug

yes i will definitely be looking into more. but i want to go a little longer with this one before i do so. just to be safe. i want to try and get a black and white one, ( spotted garden eel) as well as more of the splendid garden eels.

First Name
    Doug

Well, once again, story about the tank being a mess. Here's a vid of the eel eating some flakes. Notice the high volume feeding it takes to feed this guy. This happens multiple times a day.

VID 20121128 192032mp4 - Splendid Garden Eel

jasper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    brandon

Wonderful anecdotal experience, thank you sir

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last