[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

2010 Grow Out Contest Rules & Updates

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default 2010 Grow Out Contest Rules & Updates

Figured I would start a sticky thread here in the growout contest forum. We'll use this for updates and reminders.

First here is a copy of the rules from the original contest thread.

1. Start a thread in the Grow Out Contest Forum
    2. Post updated photos of the frags progress at least once every two weeks along with any dialog to document the number of polyps on each frag, system changes including water changes, bulb changes, dosing regime, fragging, etc.
    3. Create a Reef Showcase for your system if you haven't already.
    4. The contest will run from November 7 to April 7.
    5. The winner will be based on who achieves the most growth over all (polyp count). In the event of a tie in overall polyp count, the winner will be based on who has the most lunar eclipse palys.

In the next few days, if you haven't already, everyone needs to start a thread and work on getting your first pics posted.

You need to identify which frag is which (common names from the frag pack). Here is what you got:

Better than Kedds Reds (3 polyps)
    Purple Deaths (3 polyps)
    Devils Armor (2 polyps)
    Eye of Rah (4 polyps)
    Gobstoper Play (1 polyps) <--this was the mystery frag
    Green Bay Packers (5 polyps)
    Lunar Eclipse (2 polyps)
    Cherry Corals SkyHigh's zoos (3 polyps)

When you post an update you should post a photo and state how many polyps each frag has.

As you have time over the next week or two, please include your basic tank specs in the first post (you can edit it after you created your thread). Also provide more tank details and information in your Reef Showcase.
    Here is a link to create a Reef Showcase...it is also found under Reef Tools on the navbar (add/edit reef info).

Updated photos may be posted as often as you like to your Grow Out Contest thread. However, you must provide two updates per month...~two weeks apart.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

one thing i do ask of everyone is to put your polyp count next to your picture label like i did on your weekly or biweekly updated, example:

Devils Armor (2 polyps):
    devilsarmor 1 - 2010 Grow Out Contest Rules & Updates

this will help people determine how good your growth rate is so far as they look through your grow out thread. I also ask that at the end of the post please put your total polyp count down and how many lunar eclipses you currently have so people can get a quick count and how far ahead or behind they are on you.

it makes it easier than me trying to go to someones grow out and guesstimate how many polyps a person has in each picture.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jolson10450; 11-12-2010 at 07:49 AM.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I just discovered that I only have 2 Purple Deaths instead of 3. I have only ever had 2 but noticed on others threads and then here that there should be 3.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    chris

Let me check again after they re open. It seems I had them mixed up with my new crazy skirts.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Justin is correct, you should put the number of polyps each time you post the pics.

Chris- We can add one "virtual" polyp to your count if you want. I know a few of us, myself included, have already lost one frag in the acclimation/transfer. Every effort was made to make the packs equal...its possible that we can't count to 3, but more likely that one polyp came loose. If you were closer, I'd say come over and get another polyp...but I know you had the pack shipped and not sure that it's worth the cost for a single polyp of purple death. If you have another proposal for how to handle it, I'm open to suggestions. If you happen to be in the lansing area, I can get you a polyp of purple death.

First Name
    chris

The virtual one would be fine if it comes down to tying or losing by one in my case. I am still trying to get a good look inside the polyps to make sure I dont have them confused. I havnt read through everyones logs yet but some of you lost a frag? Sorry about that. There were a couple that didnt want to open and the PD and CS dont want to fully open to get a good view but I was puffing them with my turkey baster and the others I was worried about opened up.

First Name
    chris

What if anything are you doing for people who lost a frag? If it is a suck it up kind of thing then I guess I can suck it up too. I still believe I had the names correct on mine though.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah one of mine didn't make it. I'm planning on going on without it...I figure losing an occasional frag is part of reefkeeping.

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Is it too late to get in on this contest and if not, where can I get these frags?

I just set up my new tank a couple weeks ago and since then, I've seen growth in my current frags which got me thinking about this contest.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Figured I would start a sticky thread here in the growout contest forum. We'll use this for updates and reminders.

First here is a copy of the rules from the original contest thread.

1. Start a thread in the Grow Out Contest Forum
    2. Post updated photos of the frags progress at least once every two weeks along with any dialog to document the number of polyps on each frag, system changes including water changes, bulb changes, dosing regime, fragging, etc.
    3. Create a Reef Showcase for your system if you haven't already.
    4. The contest will run from November 7 to April 7.
    5. The winner will be based on who achieves the most growth over all (polyp count). In the event of a tie in overall polyp count, the winner will be based on who has the most lunar eclipse palys.

In the next few days, if you haven't already, everyone needs to start a thread and work on getting your first pics posted.

You need to identify which frag is which (common names from the frag pack). Here is what you got:

Better than Kedds Reds (3 polyps)
    Purple Deaths (3 polyps)
    Devils Armor (2 polyps)
    Eye of Rah (4 polyps)
    Gobstoper Play (1 polyps) <--this was the mystery frag
    Green Bay Packers (5 polyps)
    Lunar Eclipse (2 polyps)
    Cherry Corals SkyHigh's zoos (3 polyps)

When you post an update you should post a photo and state how many polyps each frag has.

As you have time over the next week or two, please include your basic tank specs in the first post (you can edit it after you created your thread). Also provide more tank details and information in your Reef Showcase.
    Here is a link to create a Reef Showcase...it is also found under Reef Tools on the navbar (add/edit reef info).

Updated photos may be posted as often as you like to your Grow Out Contest thread. However, you must provide two updates per month...~two weeks apart.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Unfortunately it's too late to get in on this one. We'll have more in the future though.

We also are starting the nano contest here in a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last