[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Bookmark and Share

Default pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Welcome to pjr's GrowOut contest thread! I picked up the 8 frags at the AARC Swap on 9/25, and put them in the tank at work a few hours later. All frags have opened up just fine. I work only about 5 minutes rom home, so it was convenient to buzz over on a Sunday.

Setup specifics:

Tank: JBJ Nano with JBJ stand; minor mods (bteer pump, no cover, stock lights removed).
    Lights: Sunbright Lightings "Slimline" fixture (original model; 12 LED x 3 watt, 6 white & 6 470 actinic)
    Settings: Blue at 100%, white at 50%.
    Skimmer: none
    Fish: none
    water changes: none
    top off: every am, via RO brought from home.
    other livestock; RBTA (thriving, getting ready to split), one mini carpet, one mini-max; acan echinata colony; favia frag; bam bam zoa colony; and a selection of zoa frags.

Pics soon!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

New pics of the tank. I think the total polyp count is arojnd 30. Zoas are doing great under this LED setup. I have brought three frags belonging to a friend back from near total loss in this tank, and a rasta frag has doubled since the mid summer. The contest frags are having the same success. No water changes, no dosing, no fish.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Very nice color!

Thx! It's not quite THAT blue in real life, but close.

I put a new piece of rock in the tank today, so I was moving the frags. As I did, started counting polyps. I'm actually now close to 50 polyps!!!! I am stunned!
    Likes AJ :) liked this post

Did some close count on the frags today. I may not have all the names right, but here goes:

King Midas - 9
    Aussie Invaders - 9
    Baboon butts - 5
    Dexters - 8
    Almond Joys - 7
    Egg Drops - 6
    Mean Greens - 5
    Safecrackers - 9

Total of 58 polyps....

Pics are not great. I am moving frags a bit and hopefully will be able to get better pics in the future. I cannot get top-down pics because the fixture hangs over the tank.

Nov6lower rt 1 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Nov6lower rt 2 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Nov6upper left - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Nov6front rt - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Ugh. Not a good report.

First, I thought I would be brilliant and insert all the plugs into this porous rock with holes just the right size of the plugs. greta idea, poor execution. It raised their height from the bottom of the tank and placed them more directly nder the light -- bad result. The blue zoas melted, and another fell off the frag plaug. Fortunately, it fell into a crevice of the rock, where it has mounted itself and is stable.

The other six frags have been placed back in the sand bed. They are doing fine, except they are being harassed by a mysterious outbreak of bubble algae.

Total polyp count is 49. Crap, I am down 9. Pics coming. later today once I crop them.

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Ugh. Not a good report.

First, I thought I would be brilliant and insert all the plugs into this porous rock with holes just the right size of the plugs. greta idea, poor execution. It raised their height from the bottom of the tank and placed them more directly nder the light -- bad result. The blue zoas melted, and another fell off the frag plaug. Fortunately, it fell into a crevice of the rock, where it has mounted itself and is stable.

The other six frags have been placed back in the sand bed. They are doing fine, except they are being harassed by a mysterious outbreak of bubble algae.

Total polyp count is 49. Crap, I am down 9. Pics coming. later today once I crop them.
    2011 12 22120924 1 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

2011 12 22121031 1 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Ugh. Not a good report.

2011 12 22120924 1 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

2011 12 22121031 1 - pjr's GrowOut contest thread

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

You are still in pretty good shape overall.