[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

29 Biocube Mesh Top Project

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default 29 Biocube Mesh Top Project

Thought I would share some info from making the top for my 29 biocube (bowfront tank).

First I traced the outline of the front of the stock glass top on a scrap piece of plywood. Then I used the thickness of the frame to trace a line inside the outside trace of the top. Next I placed screws along the inside trace. This was to make sure the top would fit "inside" the rimstock. Next I put a strip of duck tape around the screw to keep it from scratching the frame.

Name:  bowmesh11.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  27.5 KB Name:  bowmesh1.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  26.3 KB Name:  bowmesh12.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  26.3 KB

Then with the jig made, I used a long piece of frame material so that I could get enough leverage to bend it. I then carefully started bending the frame into position so it fit the path of the screws. After it was bent accordingly, I cut it roughly to length but was careful to keep it a little long for final fitting. Then I started working on the corners...probably the trickiest part of the project. As you can see from the photo on the right, the angle was off (of course) after bending the top.

Name:  bowmesh13.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  39.8 KB Name:  bowmesh2.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  26.1 KB Name:  bowmesh3.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  32.6 KB

I used a propane torch to gently heat the corners so they could be bent and repositioned. Atter a couple tries, I finally decided the best approach was to super heat the frame then put the corner in place....this would have enough residual heat to allow the corner to be maleable.

Name:  bowmesh4.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  22.3 KB Name:  bowmesh5.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  28.6 KB Name:  bowmesh6.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  23.8 KB

Its hard to tell, but if you look at the photo on the left below, you'll notice how the plastic corner "kicks out" after being bent. This was going to be a problem for a good fit. I ended up adjusting my final cuts in the bowed part of the frame so that the angle of the plastic corner piece kept inline with the curvature of the bow. This was still going to be a problem for the corner to fit in the edge of the rimstock, but it made the front bow flow like it should...then I used a bandsaw and rounded the plastic corner pieces so they fit perfectly in the rimstock. I was able to do this by eyeballing the frame on the tank and then cutting a small amount off and trying again (trial and error). I then fit the mesh in like I normally would using the spline material and spline tool.

Name:  bowmesh8.jpg
Views: 2518
Size:  28.3 KB Name:  bowmesh9.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  18.3 KB Name:  meshtop1.jpg
Views: 3922
Size:  44.1 KB

As you can see from the final pictures, the frame turned out pretty well....almost like it was made in a factory. There are a few stress marks in the bow from being bent...that straight aluminum really doesn't like to be bent like that. This project wasn't too hard, but having the right tools and the tank right with me to do the fit made it doable.

Name:  meshtop2.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  22.0 KB Name:  meshtop4.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  34.8 KB Name:  meshtop3.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  22.1 KB
    Last edited by jimsflies; 04-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

very nice jim. if i wasnt going to be getting rid of mine soon id be all over this. r the dimensions of your tank different from the older BC 29?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I think the HQI model I have has a different rimstock than the regular biocubes. But I am not 100% sure of this.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I played around a little with the PAR meter (Apogee) today. This is the first time I actually measured the difference in light intensity with and without the mesh top. I'm currently running a Coralife 150w 14k on my biocube. I turned the pumps off during the measurement and set the light probe about 5 inches below water surface on a piece of live rock. With the mesh top on I measured ~315 umol m-2 s-1 without the top on the measurement was ~330 umol m-2 s-1. To put this in the perspective, I turned the pumps back on without the mesh top, the reading bouced between 290 and 310 umol m-2 s-1.

I think I can live with a 4.5% reduction to manage heat and keep fish from jumping.

I will take some measurements with the stock glass top for further comparison.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 05-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Very nice DIY Jim.
    Look forward to seeing more with the par meter.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I should be getting the new 20k XM bulb in a couple days...I'm interested to see how the PAR compares with the coralife 14k. I really miss my actinic lighting with this cube.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Okay, I measured the PAR again today....same readings as above, with mesh on and off...315 and 330 umol m-2 s-1, respectively. Also took a measurement with the glass top (clean) over the tank. The measurement was 299 umol m-2 s-1 with the pumps off. So, the mesh top provides better light penetration than a clean glass top.

Incidently, above water the PAR reading was over 1500 umol m-2 s-1. As soon as you go under water, the reading is cut below 400 umol m-2 s-1.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 05-11-2010 at 05:43 AM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default 29 Biocube Mesh Top Project

I'm lovin this project of yours Jim!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com