[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: What salt are you using

Voters
45. Register or Login to Vote
  • BrightWells

5 11.11%
  • Reef Crystals

29 64.44%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

3 6.67%
  • D-D H2Ocean

1 2.22%
  • Tropic Marin

7 15.56%

Salts

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Salts

I need another bucket of salt and Im not sure which I want to buy.

Whats the latest and greatest right now?

Did BW finally get the Alk numbers down to advertised numbers?

What are you using, why, what you like etc.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Rob-

If you want to post a list of salts you are/would consider, I will (figure out how to) setup a poll.:D

First Name
    Rob

BrightWells
    Reef Crystals
    Red Sea Coral Pro
    D-D H2Ocean
    Tropic Marin

Ive been using RC for ever, tried RSCP and had some major issues but couldn't definitivily tie back to the salt mix.

Every one is talking about low Alk right now and my RC test out on fresh mix in the 8-9 range.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Rob

Kick butt you got the poll working!! I see a few votes already but what about,

What are you using, why,how long, what you like etc.
    Pro's or Con's

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I also have a box of Crystal Sea MarineMix. I've been hesitant about using that after reading some threads on it from a few years ago. I think if I start a new tank with it, I'll be OK. Something about mixing salt brands can be bad news for a tank. Not sure, would definitely expect someone with more experience than me to comment on that.

CR Member

screw reef crystals.... Red Sea Coral Pro is where it's at!

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    screw reef crystals.... Red Sea Coral Pro is where it's at!
    Care to elaborate on that?

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Care to elaborate on that?
    Mostly because my views on life make me right and everyone else is wrong or has ideas that I could adopt as my own.... but yea

I wrote this up at another site long ago....

I found the following at reefcentral

These are not any official numbers, but should give everyone an idea where the salt mixes should be after mixing.

Here is a list of what I measured for the big three in a number of the salt mixes we use today. This is intended as a guideline and I, in no way, guarantee these figures. All I can say is they were all tested under the same conditions, with a number of different brand test kits, using the same methods for each test. I believe these numbers are reasonably what you can expect from these salts mixed at 35 ppt or 1.0264
    Aquatic Gardens

CA 430
    DKH 8
    MG 1240

CoraLife

CA 560
    DKH 9
    MG 1380

Instant Ocean

CA 350
    DKH 12
    MG 1070

Kent

CA 540
    DKH 11
    MG 1200

Oceanic

CA 580
    DKH 8.5
    MG 1650

OceanPure

CA 510
    DKH 10
    MG 1320

Red Sea

CA 400
    DKH 8
    MG 1300

Red Sea Coral Pro

CA 490
    DKH 7
    MG 1300

Reef Crystals

CA 420
    DKH 12
    MG 1260

SeaChem Marine Salt

CA 500
    DKH 10
    MG 1400

SeaChem Reef Salt

CA 540
    DKH 10
    MG 1450

Tropic Marin

CA 375
    DKH 10
    MG 1230

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

CA 450
    DKH 8.5
    MG 1380

And then some numbers we've gathered from manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by TM01
    Per my conversation with Lou Ekus today, I can hopefully explain the true differences between Tropic Marin and Tropic Marin Pro Reef J
    Note: Mr. Ekus has ‘read and approved’ the following. If you have questions, contact Lou Ekus, Director of US Operations, Tropic Marin USA, 44 Center Street, Montague, MA. 01351, voice: 413-367-0101, fax: 413-367-0144, www.tropicmarin-usa.com.

There are ONLY three differences between Tropic Marin (TM) and Tropic Marin Pro Reef (TM PR):
    Alkalinity
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    ALL other components (70 trace elements and major salts) are exactly the same.

Tropic Marin at a specific gravity of 1.024 has:
    9-10 dKH
    380 ppm Ca
    1100 ppm Mg

Tropic Marin Pro Reef at a specific gravity of 1.024 has:
    6.5 – 7.0 dKH
    420 ppm Ca
    1350 ppm Mg

Tropic Marin Pro Reef was designed for reefs that tend to acquire a high alkalinity after years of using calcium reactors and kalkwasser. Keeping a lower alkalinity has been found to allow corals to better absorb calcium. Depending on the values of alkalinity in your reef , it might be best to use Tropic Marin instead of TM Pro Reef, or vice versa.

In slightly different terms, the ONLY good reason for using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef is if the alkalinity in your tank is continuing to rise to an undesirable level and you don’t want to contribute to that rising level with water changes. It is important to note that using Pro-Reef will not lower your alk but will not contribute to the rise as the original formula might. That slightly higher levels of Mg and Ca in the Pro-Reef are NOT a reason for using it because you are adding so much Ca and Mg on a daily basis anyway to your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz
    Red Sea Pro
    at a salinity of 35ppt = 1.025 / 77F
    MG 1316
    CA 480
    K 397
    S 999

Red Sea Salt (hard to read the numbers for this)

Salinity of 35ppt - 1.025 77/F

MG 1270-80
    CA 400
    K 370
    S 790
    Last edited by hardcz; 09-28-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Rook - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefishgirl View Post
    I also have a box of Crystal Sea MarineMix. I've been hesitant about using that after reading some threads on it from a few years ago. I think if I start a new tank with it, I'll be OK. Something about mixing salt brands can be bad news for a tank. Not sure, would definitely expect someone with more experience than me to comment on that.
    Don't use it. I used it for a long time with no problems, but I saw too many local reefers have horrible problems with this salt. While no one can certainly pinpoint the salt as the problem, the evidence was enough for me to switch.

I use and have used Tropic Marin for years and I'm very happy with it. Preuss uses this as well. The only problem, is that I don't know who sells it in SE Michigan

CR Member

I've found mostly if you can swing it, buy 2+ buckets online with cheap flat rate shipping and you can get it at a decent discount.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last