[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Advice From Ozone Experts

Bookmark and Share
    labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Advice From Ozone Experts

Ok I just got My Red Sea Deluxe I got a good deal on one off Ebay I have it all set up on my ASM G3 ventri and my tank is 130 Gallons started it off at 30mg a hour and shut off at 300 I figured this would be a good place to start. the meter has a read out of 221 right now. my skimmer is not producing many bubbles which I read is normal. am I starting right I don't want to do to much to fast as with anything in this hobby. what should I expect skimmer wise should I turn it up turn down etc. from what I read I should end up at maybe 60-70mg a hour and end between 350-375. I would be greatful for any advice

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'm no expert, however, I've been doing ALOT of reading and research from fellow reefers and it sounds like you're on a good path to begin. Set your controller to 380 and raise your ORP by about 20 each day until you reach that point. Bring your riser tube up to where you're producing a dark skim and adjust aqs needed(kind of a re-break-in) period... good luck and keep us posted as to the changes. My meter now reads 315(without ozone), but will be set at 380 when I get my new ozone generator.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Any updates for us Dave?

Got my my ORP controller today, finally stabilized at 154mv, looks like the tank really could use a little boost.... just need to wait on shipping for the ozone generator to arrive (via slow rowboat from China )
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

My monitor reads a stable 320(broken in probe) while my new controller w/new probe is reading 260 and slowly raising... careful not to O.D. the tank w/ the ozone and an un-broke in probe... seems possible to do so quite easily. My generator should arrive with in the next week(should give the new probe all the time needed to completely break in). My generator is on the same boat as Dakar's.

First Name
    Dave

Sure hope they row quickly!

BTW Repto, any guesstimate on the length of time needed for 'break in' on the new probes? Looks like mine is still rising... started at 125mv yesterday, by evening it was 156, just checked again today now up to 189-190.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

a week or so should do.

labman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default update

1st of my tank is clearer at least it looks like to me I bought a new probe to and some test solution so I can test the probe OK so how do you break in a new probe when the time comes and my read out is up to about 312 right now have it set to stop at 350 I think I am going to leave it there for a while let everybody get used to it then turn it up higher..

First Name
    Dave

Too bad water clarity is so subjective.... but if the ozone is working it should be more than wishful thinking. I'd have to guess the rate of micro-algae on the glass would be a slightly less subject to perception.

I would imagine breaking in the new probe shouldn't require much more than just leaving it hanging in the tank for a week or so prior to replacing the old one should do it.

How much ozone are you actually dosing and for what period of time? BTW what's your total water volume for the 130? How are you running your post skimmer carbon? Has your skimmer started adjusting to the new ozone?

Lots of questions, but we are all venturing into uncharted territory, but having a diverse test pool of tanks sizes, inhabitants, bioloads, skimmers, ozone generators, and other equipment should yield some pretty good comparison results and data.

Got an email a little while ago, the rowboat was launched today and should bring my new toy around Friday.