[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

AI Director (Beta)

Bookmark and Share
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default AI Director (Beta)

I have decided to join the Beta Team for the Aqua Illumination (AI) Director. For those without AI LED Lights systems, the Director is the new Wi-Fi controller with computer interface. Eventually you will be able to interface with IPAD/IPHONE and Android devices. The current so called wireless controller is not connected to the lights but must be plugged in near the tank at all times so not really wireless. It was released in June to numerous issues as to be expected for a Beta but some of the bugs have been worked out. I thought I would throw my hat in the ring and help work through remaining issues. I am interested in the controllability of each individual LED for both intensity and timing. The Director allows you to play with the settings on the computer and see color spectrum graphs and simulations. It also makes it easier to simulate cloud cover and storms both for Probability and Intensity. I will post and take lots of pictures of my progress for those who might be interested down the road.

First Name
    John

OK I received the Aqua Illumination Director Controller last night. Here are some photos of the unpacking:

IMG 2874 zpsda9255d9 - AI Director (Beta)

IMG 2875 zps89591d8b - AI Director (Beta)

IMG 2876 zpsf0affd6a - AI Director (Beta)

IMG 2878 zpsb4afd983 - AI Director (Beta)

In the box you get:

(1) Controller Box
    (1) Dongle (WiFi)
    (1) USB to Firewire Cord
    (1) USB 110 Plug
    (1) Rubber Pad to mount on bottom of Controller
    (2) Screws for mounting the Controller

No Instructions! Have to get those online.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

HERE IS MY FIRST REPORT TO AQUA ILLUMINATION

1st Day - Experience 8/20/13
    PENDING
    OK I received my Director yesterday 8/20/13. I am guessing I have the latest Firmware although it didn't tell me there were updates anywhere I could see. What is the latest Firmware #? Here is my experience:

1. Packaging/Product looked great.

2. Plugged in Dongle and Plug and got Red light. Hit button on top (blinking Red) and hit WPS button on router. Found router right away (Green light).

3. Set-up account at my.aquaillumination.com. No problems there. Used Chrome FYI.

4. Set - Status LED's to Red on (2) Vegas. Both were discovered. Added Name and Photo to Tank. No Problem. Placed Vegas on blue print. No Problem.

5. Went into Manual Mode - Set Intensities and lights worked. I wish this mode had the same settings as the New Controller where you could just set intensities, sunrise/sunset, ramp time, and L-R sweep direction. This would allow you to use the Director right away like the "New Controller" right off the bat.

6. So because there is no way to get a functioning sunrise/sunset in manual mode I had to go to Auto.

7. In Auto Mode it took awhile to understand how it worked. I finally figured it out and started with Cool Whites. Set a ramp curve and hit play. The play line kept skipping around and got stuck a few times but finally made it to the end. The lights did follow the curve ramp I set. I saved that preset and went to Blues. Created a ramp curve and then hit play. I could see the Cool White curve and the Blue I had just created. I hit play, only the white lights worked again. Not sure why. Tried several times. No Luck!

8. If you set it up where the manual mode worked like the New Controller then I would make it to where you can build your timers in a non live mode. My fish were going nuts as I was building the timers and ramps. You should be able to save your work as you go and then hit some kind of run button once you have finished the entire timer/ramp curve set-up.

9. It will take hours to finalize a decent timer/ramp curve set-up and with no way to manually run a (Easy) program I had to disconnect the Director for the night and go back to the New Controller. Need more time to work through Auto Mode.

10. Overall great start, I was impressed with improvements so far and excited to keep my Director on full time.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Looks cool! Keep us updated. Do you get a free controller for being a beta tester?

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Looks cool! Keep us updated. Do you get a free controller for being a beta tester?

I will Jim!

It was $99 with free shipping. So far I have heard it will cost around $150-$200 after the bugs are worked out. They are also planning to have a Android & IPHONE/IPAD App eventually. Right now programming is done on PC or MAC. Although I can log into the Director from Safari on my IPAD it is not an App. All Firmware updates are pushed to the director through our login. There are lots of updates so far which is good. They are taking our feedback and fixing/improving everyday.

First Name
    John

Lots of Firmware updates being pushed to the Director. Finally starting to look like a final product. I will be posting some screen shots for those who are interested. I did hear that at MACNA Neptune announced a AWM Module coming out in November/December that will allow you to control AI Vegas and Hydor lights from the APEX Controller. They also have a Auto Feeder designed for control with the APEX. I will be purchasing both so I may have a Director Controller for one lucky person!!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Following along in this one. Thinking of replacing my evo with a Vega.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!