[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Also increasing flow question

Bookmark and Share

Default Also increasing flow question

After reading the thread on increasing flow in 90g tank, thought that I also may get help with the same problem .

I have 90g tank too, undrilled, overflow box is at the right side wall, near the front. Behind it is Koralia 2 (600 gph) powerhead, directed to the back and top, making some ripples on the surface for oxygenation.

Left top corner, on the back wall, Seio 620 (600 gph), directed at the same level to the front wall, tot at the middle, maybe one third of the tank length.

Both powerheads are creating flow around the tank, more at the top, than at the bottom, with flow pushing water right to the overflow box intake (most articles say it should be done so).

Return pump's flow (~500 gph) enters tank at the right top, some of it blows at the top, where the anti-siphon hole is, and all other goes to the spraybar along the bottom, behind the rock.

There are no space between rockwork to place additional powerheads on the back wall, blowing onto front wall, with dispersed flow washing the front of the rocks with corals. Actually, there is space (medium rock pieces are laid as a brick, with a spaces in-between), but powerheads couldn't be removed for a cleaning. And I cannot change aquascaping too much because of the shape of LR pieces, that I have: this is the only stable configuration, and it took hours to find it by trial and error.

What else I could think about:
    I placed the second Seio 620 on the left side wall, close to the front, directed down under angle onto the front glass near it: very short pass, then it is reflected onto rockwork, mixed with flow from the first Seio. This way I have back to front and again back flow.

If you still here and continue reading (good!), the rockwork is L-shaped, covering left side wall and 2/3 of adjacent back wall. Right one third of the tank is empty at all so far, reserved solely for tube anemone, 1 ft in diameter, that occupies all this place. The flow should be relatively slow here, for tube anemone. With no powerheads below the top - otherwise the tentacles could be caught.

I would like to increase flow in the middle of the rock and in the left back corner, filled by rock. Maybe even making two sets of powerheads on timer for creation wavemaking effect (every couple of hours, maybe - my timers allow 6 settings a day).

I also have Sequence Dart (2400 gph) pump, that I thought to use for a short time mixing action once in a few hours, but it was before tube anemone, and was advised against the DIY unskilled installation.

It's all. Could I improve this somehow, without drilling the tank and redoing rockwork?
    So far received in other places advices were:
    1. It's up to you. Nobody will tell you, how to place powerheads in particular rock arrangement.
    2. Hire the professionals from LFS.

Do I have another, DIY options?
    Mostly non-photosynthetics and fine filter feeders. Life in my tanks: Define Your Reef.
    :doublet:

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

I read somewher and a 2nd time on this site (Old age) About a pvc solution. In the most basic terms They place pvc piping and with the use of T valves at the top of the tank. Yes all aroune the top edges. The placement of the T valves is where you would place Nozzles to direct your flow. Flow is piped to a pump and from the pump to the nozzles at the top of the tank. I would think with a shut off valve from the pump you could limit the ammount of flow. I dont think you would have to have nozzles all around. But It couls possibly replace some of those power heads. I am currently setting one up using a pond pump (4800 gph) Removing all other pumps and using flow accelerators to make the flow softer I am using 6 Pacific Coast Flow Accelerator 1in MPT here is the link from Marine depot http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...g~vendor~.html
    My 2c
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

Thank you - very good idea. I didn't think about that before.
    Mostly non-photosynthetics and fine filter feeders. Life in my tanks: Define Your Reef.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Search Return Manifold, You will get a few threads on them, one is a really nice write up on how to build them.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

penductors... do a google
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Thank you!
    It was known to me as closed loop, but search for "return manifold" gives additional information. I did a fast search (in depth will do a little later), result shows:
    1. Closed loop inside the tank, at the top.

a) The "T" are opened (without nozzles or other snail guard). Can you give fast note from memory about not bulky solutions for this?

b) The loop is zip-tied to the holes in the plastic rim of the tank. I had long spray bar at the top in this manner, it interferes with cleaning glass. Is there other way to fasten the loop on the tank, to keep it maybe on the rim, so access to the glass will be not obstructed?

c) Way to eliminate sound of splash, if the loop will be mounted above the rim: Lockline with nozzles (can you point me to the info on connecting LockLine details to the PVC construction? I ordered all details, what were available in local online supply, and way to connect them is clearly missing.), or PVC 2x 45 degree elbows (again, have to be protected from snails). Any other options. that I missed?

d) this is a single loop. Now I have 4 sources of the flow, if one fails - others will work. Is it possible (and how) to make a double manifold, each fed from independent pump?

2. Matt's cube:
    Way to mount above the tank, on not removable canopy. My tanks do not have canopies at all, and building one will bring a lot of inconvenience in my maintenance - restricted access and not removable object. Any similar idea, but easily removable?

Penductors are opposite to my task: even Maxi-Jet 1200 is too much. Seios, Koralia and reflected flow are more suitable, soft and diffused flow, but a lot of it. With possibility to create easily re-definable zones with different amount of flow.

Areas of high velocity jets are a dead, lost space in my tanks - nobody is able to tolerate that, speaking from my humble practice, even a very high flow corals, like scleronephthya and dendronephthya.

More ideas are very welcome!

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

In reference to item "c"- I use lock line on my return. They make fittings that will screw into threaded pvc in 3/4" and 1/2". Mine uses threaded elbows.

Here is a link with some pics to help. Items E and K are to what I am referring.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...90&pcatid=4090

Thank you - it is just what I need to know.
    Really appreciate that.

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

In the point of not being able to clean the glass. Nice point, but if you make the manifold a bit smaller (Than the total inside of the tank) you should be able to have it suspended inside and not on the glass. This will make the opening a bit smaller (Let
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

I didn't thought about it in a such way, but keeping manifold inside (in relation to plastic rim), but above the water should solve the problem.

What shape should the hangers be? Bent square for a rim and, then, in opposite direction - round, like on the door hanger? I'm using them (door hangers, white plastic) to hold frag shelves in this tank. Too deep for manifold, but may be idea could be used.

Any thoughts about making the double manifold, fed from different pumps, just in case if one fails?