[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Apex controller and accessories

Bookmark and Share
    BEETLE60 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bruce

Default Apex controller and accessories

Hey everyone , I've just been looking at controllers and while for the most part they seem straight forward but the apex has a few extras ,I dont know if they are worth haveing or not,you can get ORP & CONDUCTIVITY probes , I assume that one measures the salinity ? & the other Im not sure . Any info on these probes and opinions as to the benefits would be
    AWESOME !!!
    thanks all

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

APEX are awesome. The internet connectivity alone sets them apart from the Digital Aquatics models. I'm just scratching the surface of my APEX Lite but have a lot of future plans for it. They are pricey but totally worth it IMO.

Tom

First Name
    Bruce

Thanks Tom ,I'm pretty much sold on the Apex ,just need to organise the funds and start learning,
    regards Bruce

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

As you mentioned the conductivity probe correlates to salinity concentrations. The ORP is a bit more abstract...it can be used to control ozone if you have it. But its function for most people is to indicate if there is a problem. ORP is generally fairy stable, but it will often change significantly if there is an upset with the system...for example something dies.

It would be nice if the apex would allow an alarm based on change of ORP. It currently only provides for a maximum or minimum value. However, I'm not aware of any other controller that will do this either.

I've had an ORP in the past, but not using one now. I only have the pH probe and (of course) temperature probe connected on my apex.

I have been happy with neptune controllers. I've been using one for probably 10 years now. (I had an AC3 before the apex.)

First Name
    Bruce

Thanks for the heads up on that Jim, Apex it is, and I think the conductivity probe will be part of the package ,Ive had my new tank for a while now (just waiting for my daughter to move out to her new place) and the new build will comence once I get a controller .... Bruce