[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Apex Controller Discussion

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default Apex Controller Discussion

I recently purchased a APEX Controller System and I have been going through the pains of setting it up. I first hardwired it to the router and computer to update firmware but only the firmware on the contoller updated. The Dashboard did not update. I tried IE8-9 and Google Chrome and I wipe browsing history to no luck! Finally I gave up and set it up on my tank. I am now controlling heaters, BRS 2 part Dosers, PH, and Temp. All are working great although I lose wireless connection daily to the controller and have to reset everything to get it back and sometimes have to wait hours before it will work again. FYI I am using Netgear WNCE2001 Gaming adapter with a Net Gear Router that is WPS capable. I tried last night to set-up Port Forwarding which seemed easy enough but ended up losing all internet cababilities and spent the next (3) Hours on the phone with Comcast and Netgear. I now have it back to running wirelessly but this morning I tried to log into http://Apex and it would not work. I also tried logging into the IP address? I will try again tonight. I purchased the controller so that when I am away I can monitor my system so I need to get the external port forwarding set-up or it would not be worth it to me. I have read hundreds of posts and have read the entire 140 Page Comprehensive Guide. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated on any of the following topics:

Dashboard Firmware Update 4.20
    Port Forwarding for use on IPAD & Android Phone
    Wireless Stability with Controller

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Try logging into the controller using the direct IP address that you setup in the controller from inside of your network. You shouldn't need the port forwarding to access it in your network...lets see if that works first.

If that doesn't work, can you plug in your controller into the router with an Ethernet cable and then try to access using the IP you setup in your controller.

The IP might look something like: 192.188.1.X

First Name
    John

I have tried both. Right now I can log in wireless no problem. It comes and goes but seems to be connecting fine wireless right now. But how do I get my dashboard updated to the new version? My Controller is probably 100 yrds away from the router? Have you set up port forwarding so you can log in from outside the network?

petercar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    larry

I have my apex to read from my ipad when im on he road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First Name
    John

OK my Apex is now working wirelessly. Seems pretty steady. I have also now figured out the IPAD app. Still need to do the Android but it is in Beta so probably just wait. Now I just need to figure out the new Dashboard? When I log in it is still the old one? I also have a DLINK 942 camera on my tank and want to connect that to the new Dashboard. The other thing I still need help with is the Port Forwarding so I can log in when I am outside the network? I have Netgear Adapter and Router. Anyone know the exact settings?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

So you are connecting wirelessly inside of your network? When you connect, are you typing in the ip address of the controller or just using "Apex" for the url?

I haven't used a netgear router, but there should be a tab or setting in your router's control panel to set up port forwarding. In that settings box, you will want to enter a port number for the public TCP & UDP ports. This can be any four digit number. You will then see boxes to complete the private port number. The private port number is the port number in your apex network configuration settings. The default is 80. You'll also need to include the ip number of the controller that you have setup in network settings.

This brings me to another potential issue. In your network settings is your controller set to use DHCP or did you specify an IP address. You should specify an IP address on your controller settings because this will need to remain the same in order for port forwarding to work. I would select an IP outside of your routers DHCP range so that the router won't try to assign the same number to another device that is connecting using DHCP...this is unlikely since your controller will probably always be connected to the router. But it is a good practice to go with a number outside of the DHCP range.

Once this is setup and working properly, you will be able to type in your ip address assigned by your ISP and then a colon and the public port number you selected. The controller should respond and ask for a user and password (the ones you setup in the controller network settings.)

I know you were asking about updating your firmware, but lets try to get it connected first. The firmware update wasn't that big of deal. But you will need to physically connected it to the router along with your computer to assure nothing goes wrong during the update.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Also, I'm not sure if you have seen this guide:
    http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-con...anual-v1_0.pdf

It is the bible for the Apex controller.

First Name
    John

HaHa Yes!!!!!! It's all working. Thanks Jim! Yes I did read that entire bible. OK I am actually starting to like this thing now.

OK so I did update to 4.20 Firmware on the controller but the Dashboard is still the old one? I did update the web pages but it didn't work. Did you update to 4.20 yet? Did the Dashboard update? I know it needs to be hardwired but can it just be the controller or do I have to take the E8 also? Probably both right so it has power, duh! What a pain to unhook everything, unscrew it from the tank, and have to set it all back up? Anyone find a way around this?

I also got he email thing set-up but it is emailing me every hour? How do you adjust those settings?

First Name
    John

OK so I now have everything working including email, IPAD App, and Droid App for my Galaxy Note II. If anyone else is struggling with Apex I would be happy to guide them.

Thanks to those who helped me! Only thing I have left to do is unplug everything so I can take the Apex to my computer, hard wire, and figure out updating the the web pages firmware so my dashboard is up to date.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

What do you think was the key to getting it to work? You are now able to access from inside and outside the network, correct?

Regarding updating your firmware, you just need to plug into the router's ethernet port (aka hardwire connection). You should also plug your computer into the router when you update the firmware. Once you do that and start the process it is pretty straight forward. The update program will look for the controller on the network and walks you through the steps. It was less than a 5 minute install.

Just read your earlier post.... you need to clear your cookies and cache. You are probably seeing the cached version.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last