[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Apex Question

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    mcleodm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Michael

Default Apex Question

Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you apex experts. I have been trying to setup my auto-water-change program inside my apex and i am stuck.

The way I am doing it right now is i made a v-outlet called 30G-WC. It contains when the water should be changed as well as on if feed d.

My auto-water change system contains 3 steps. Drain the sump, refill the sump, refill the new sw container. So 3 pumps. I have set my return pumps and protein skimmer to be off when 30G-WC is on.

I have got the turning on the physical outlets working, the problem is turning them off. I can time their turning on with defer statements, but there is no way i know of to turn them off after there job is done.

Any ideas or if you have a better way of doing this, then that would be great. Hopefully i didnt write this too confusingly. I am trying to get my tank to near automation by next sunday when i leave for boot camp and my mom takes it over.

THANKS

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Do you have float switches controlling this or just trying to time it?

First Name
    Michael

Going to run it using timers. My sump has 3 sections. There is a float in the middle which prevents the return pumps and skimmer from running if the water level is too low. Only point of error I can think of is if the float switch fails.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

To me it seems real risky running water changes on timers with no other fail safes. If for some reason one pump fails to turn on or if the flow rates change over time, what happens?

First Name
    Michael

Good point. I could use a conductivity probe to ensure that saltwater is being replaced and if anything goes wrong, it will just alert the user. A lot less work then installing floats.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'd just use float switches on the breakout/IO box in conjunction with the timers

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Is this operation going to be totally unmanned or is your mom going to be there when it is doing its thing?

First Name
    Michael

Unmanned. Lets say it changes the water on a monday. She would put the salt in on tuesday and then 13 days later, it would do its thing again.

Seems more logical to use conductivity. You get to monitor it and if something goes wrong with the awc, it will tell you. If you do it with floats, it just tells you something is wrong, no monitoring.

Guess with floats you can pinpoint an individual problem in the system vs with conductivity it just tells you the whole system is offline.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I guess maybe another question is what's our budget on this project?

My feeling is, that she should be there to watch it happen and verify that it doesn't overflow the tank or the bucket (or is this going directly in the drain?).

First Name
    Michael

The drained sw goes into a 30 gal trash can with a bulkhead near the top. This then goes into a drain.

I am torn between salinity probe or float switches.

In the mean time, do you know of any command that can turn off the pumps when there job is done? This would be using the timer only method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last