[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

AquaIllumination Module

Bookmark and Share
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default AquaIllumination Module

Hi Evil,

As you know I am all over the board as to what direction I am going to go with my next lighting upgrade.

I find the LED lights to be extremely attractive due to their low energy consumption, lack of heat, and their versatility with color and intensity options.

I am very much interested in the AquaIlluminations fixture for a number of reasons. On the other edge of the sword the AI fixture has me a bit concerned.

It utilizes 40 degree optics and I am worried that this would be too narrow to properly get the coverage I need in a 25x25x25 cube tank. I have read that 1 module would be sufficient for up to 30 inches in all directions. However, after speaking with a few authorized dealers and doing some more research, I have found there to be a lot of difference of opinion. Some say one would be just fine and other say 2 is a must.

I am curious to hear your thoughts, oh Jedi Master of Light!!!
    Thank you
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

evilc66 - Reefkeeper CR Member

The only way that you could use a single unit over a tank that size is to raise it up considerably. You would lose a lot of intensity at that point. It really is better to put 2 over a tank that size. From what I have seen, it's usually 1 unit for every 18" of tank length.

First Name
    Rob

Well dammit, that just takes the wind out of my sails. I thought one would be more than enough. Just found a bunch of pictures on the net of others receiving theirs and putting them up all in the last week. No question about it, very cool, very spotty, definitely would need two for my tank........oooohh, what about one AI fixture with two Evil's Par 38 spots on either side?? That would still fit with in my budget!!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

It is a bit of a kick in the nuts. The spotlighting isn't as bad as it looks in the pictures though. The camera exagerates it a bit. One still isn't enough though. Adding the PAR38 spots would help fill in some of the blank spots.

First Name
    Rob

And look cooler than **** hanging from the ceiling!!

True enough.