[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Aquatic Life T5 Fixtures

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default Aquatic Life T5 Fixtures

As some of you may or may not know, I'm working on a new system. Small, but new nonetheless and I'm pretty excited about it. Details on the planning are located Planning New System

I have a line on a 36" 6-Lamp aquatic life T5 for a **** of a price. I need some opinions on this fixture. I really would like to go LED but to get what I want out of LED I'm talking tons of cash, even for DIY. So, from the experts, I need some opinions. This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle that I need before I can bring the equipment in the house and do a leak test, fill it, and transfer livestock.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    As some of you may or may not know, I'm working on a new system. Small, but new nonetheless and I'm pretty excited about it. Details on the planning are located Planning New System

I have a line on a 36" 6-Lamp aquatic life T5 for a **** of a price. I need some opinions on this fixture. I really would like to go LED but to get what I want out of LED I'm talking tons of cash, even for DIY. So, from the experts, I need some opinions. This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle that I need before I can bring the equipment in the house and do a leak test, fill it, and transfer livestock.
    aquatic makes a fairly good fixture,should have no problems keeping anything you want.I would put ATI bulbs or Giserman's and it will create plenty of par !!
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    aquatic makes a fairly good fixture,should have no problems keeping anything you want.I would put ATI bulbs or Giserman's and it will create plenty of par !!
    That's what I was wondering. The fixture that I have a chance to buy is a **** of a deal and has all ATI lamps in it. The seller claims that they were used for about 5 months but I have no way to tell if that's the case or not. But again, for the price he's willing to let it go, I may not be able to beat it.

I sure would like to do another LED tank, but due to the footprint of the tank, I need 2 modules of any fixture. Then, I looked into a DIY and I'm still into the $500 territory and that's just not in the budget right now.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

My aquatic life is awesome. Great customer service at a decent price. And they are loaded with features.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    My aquatic life is awesome. Great customer service at a decent price. And they are loaded with features.
    This is one of the reasons I'm attracted to the fixture. That and the price for a 36" 6-lamp fixture is hard to beat. The one think that I'm hesitant about is that I'll lose the shimmer I get with my current LED set up but I could always supplement down the road........confused....

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Yup no shimmer with t5's you could add some cheap panaramics to get the shimmer tho.food for thought

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I love my Aquaticlife 4x24w with all ATI! My clams doing great as are my sps and everything in between the shimmer I get from the Lunars at night? Well it's just perfectly peaceful
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm attracted to the fixture. That and the price for a 36" 6-lamp fixture is hard to beat. The one think that I'm hesitant about is that I'll lose the shimmer I get with my current LED set up but I could always supplement down the road........confused....
    Grab the fixture and add a ReefBrite strip for the shimmer (and more PAR, not that you'll need it.) This is a 36" tank with a 4 bulb T5 fixture with a ReefBrite added.

The video shows the color and brightness of just the Reef Brite, then adds 2 tubes of T5s, then then all 4 tubes of T5s (It's not quite as bright as it appears in the video.)

Not only does it add the shimmer missing with T5s, the actinic "pop" is much better than any T5.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes jimsflies liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Thanks, Binford, Tom, and Jamie,

Binford and Tom....you have confirmed my thoughts about this. I really believe that with a 6-lamp fixture that I can add the missing shimmer using either a reefbrite strip or panaramic stunners. I'll be getting most of what I need in terms of PAR and PUR from the T5. It's very hard for me to look away from this fixture at the price point.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Well I bought the fixture. I'll be using it as is for a while and will eventually remove a lamp and add some LED.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last