[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

auto fish feeders

Bookmark and Share
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default auto fish feeders

I'm thinking about getting an auto fish feeder. Eheim and Current brand feeders are front runners but I'm open to suggestions. I plan to feed small pellets and don't what/can't spend an arm-and-a-leg. So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Super feeder. Hands down the best feeder out there. Easily controlled with anything from a simple wall timer to an aquarium controller.

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I have the Eheim auto feeder. I like it because it has a timer built right in, so there is no need for a controller or separate timer.

mth1993 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I love my super feeder

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
    I have the Eheim auto feeder. I like it because it has a timer built right in, so there is no need for a controller or separate timer.
    The primary advantage to a controller being able to trigger a feeding event is that you can also schedule other devices to respond at the same time. For example, I have my return pump turn off for a few minutes so that the food stays in the tank.

What I have found is that the fish are used to food coming from me. When the food magically drops from the sky they aren't really ready for it and much of it goes right into the overflow. As an improvement on this, I scheduled the return pump to turn off first for a minute, then have the feeder drop the food...the fish get conditioned to know that the return pump off equals time to eat so they are ready for it when it happens. I think some joker named Pavlov did this with dogs once...

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
    +1

I use a Eheim 3581 when I travel. I like the custom timer and portion control options and how it keeps the food dry. I place the unit over a feeding ring (if using flakes) and in front of an MP40. This somewhat delays the food from entering the water all at the same time and then circulates what does begin to sink toward the front of the tank. You can also set the digital timer to coincide with any controller based feed cycles.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    The primary advantage to a controller being able to trigger a feeding event is that you can also schedule other devices to respond at the same time. For example, I have my return pump turn off for a few minutes so that the food stays in the tank.

What I have found is that the fish are used to food coming from me. When the food magically drops from the sky they aren't really ready for it and much of it goes right into the overflow. As an improvement on this, I scheduled the return pump to turn off first for a minute, then have the feeder drop the food...the fish get conditioned to know that the return pump off equals time to eat so they are ready for it when it happens. I think some joker named Pavlov did this with dogs once...
    +1 That is the best way to go. Had the same issues with my feeder, fish were used to seeing me and when food just showed up they were like hmmmm... and down the overflow it went.
    I also need a better feeder, so good thread what else do people like?
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Just got a used superfeeder... thanks Jim! Haven't got it set up yet but plugged it in and it works. I'll post an update once I have it up and running.

Tom

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

The fish learn quick that the sound of the feeder means food
    240 gal. Miracles, 3x 1.5" Beananimal overflow, 60 gal. Frag tank, 120 gal sump. Skimmer: SRO XT5000 EXT, Return Pump: Reeflow Hammerhead Gold Hybrid. Reef Dynamic Biopellet reactor, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor. Lights: 9x AI Sol Blue. Controller: Apex, 40 gal QT