[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Avast Protein Skimmer

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    David
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Avast Protein Skimmer

Well after much research and problems with my biopellets, I decided to break down and get a recirculating skimmer. I called Justin from Avast and he was very helpful! The skimmer is rated from 100-200 gallons, and my tank only being 55 gallons I was worried that it would be too large for my tank. He informed me that he knows of one running on a 40 gallon and that I should be fine with it.

Well off with the boring things and onto the good things!!!!! I purchased the CS1 pegleg with the recirc mod, and the smoked cone.

2012 02 10 17 03 05 855 - Avast Protein Skimmer
    At first it was VERY overwhelming. but the instructions were very detailed and helpful!!

2012 02 10 19 37 38 762 - Avast Protein Skimmer
    I may have went out of order a tad bit when building but it got built! lol

2012 02 10 20 56 27 3 - Avast Protein Skimmer
    Here the body is finished, i never took pictures of the cup finished, I apologize for that:-(

2012 02 11 14 01 56 454 - Avast Protein Skimmer
    here it is all finished up! ready to go in its vinegar bath.

After about 12 hours it started pulling a little skim, and after 24 hours it had about half an inch pulled out. it was a little wet but none the less skim! I've slowly started adjusting it to be dryer and every day this week, I've emptied 3/4-1" of skim!! not bad for its first week of service!!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Cool skimmer! How long did it take to assemble? Sounds like its working great!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    David

I had a reef octopus on it, it just wasnt doing the job. And larry what model was that skimmer that i got from you at ann arbor? The assembly with dry time maybe took 4-5 hours but then you have to wait 24 hours for the main seem to dry so that time was a factor too. id say 5 hours over the course of 2 days

CR Member
    First Name
    David

i think it was the extreme xs200 but larry will have to confirm that for me im sorry. it def. was not the "one" for me. but i bet it would be an amazing skimmer on a larger tank!! im very happy with this avast one tho! and it was cool because i got to build it