[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Best Place To Buy A Controller

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

Default Best Place To Buy A Controller

I am looking into getting a tank controller just looking to see where everyone think the best place to find one is. I have been looking at all the reef keepers not sure what one I want to get. Since I am just kinda of newer I wont go with the highest end one.All of them look great to me.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would try the Neptune AC jr. It has built in ethernet unlike the RKLs and RKEs so you can monitor and control your tank from your smartphone or computer anywhere in the world. Plus there are a lot more upgrade paths later, like for Vortech pumps or dimmable LEDs. Seems like these would be cool features at a similar price point to the ones you are looking at.
    http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=3362

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree the Apex Jr. would be a good choice. I've owned two Neptune controllers and loved both of them. I recommend one of our sponsors, Premium Aquatics - Aquarium Supplies. The pricing is the same, and I know for sure their service is awesome. They are also located in Indiana so your order generally only takes a few days to arrive from date of order.

From time to time, they also will run specials so you may be able to get a discount.

First Name
    Patrick

When I look up the apex jr. it always says no display does that mean I have to buy the display separate? One thing I will would want with my controller is a ph probe I didn't see that with the jr but watching the videos neptunes can be added on too overtime pretty easily I think thats what I would have to do get the probe separate and add it on. Just trying to make sure I understand how they work the display is what controls everything right?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Both the apex jr. and reefkeeper lite are scaled down versions that you can add hardware to over time as you determine what your needs are. You are correct that the apex jr. does not come with a display. It is setup to use a web browser interface to setup and view your read outs. There are also apps that run on iphone and I believe androids.

@RussM may be able to add some additional advice as well.

First Name
    Patrick

yeah I knew about the ethernet and web capabilities but I guess I kinda over looked them thats pretty cool. If I could add a display after I buy the apex jr and I can use the jr just fine until i get the display that will probably be what I choose to go with. I forsure want to get the ph probe though.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Even the regular apex model (and I think the Reef Keepers as well) need the pH probe as a separate purchase or part of a bundle. The web access is one of the most significant features in my opinion.

With RussM's website (www.reeftronics.com) you can monitor your aquarium and you get notified when the communication link is broken (which often can indicate a power failure to give you a heads up about a problem).

Here is a link to my controller on ReefTronics: Jimsflies Invert Ranch

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

You will need to buy a PM! as well as a PH probe for the JR. As far as the display you don't need one if you will be using it with a computer. I seldom look at mine anymore, I just have the Aquanotes app on my phone and get info from that. The biggest thing IMO is you only get 4 plugs with the JR. While that isn't necessarily a deal breaker, before deciding, you might want to look into the Apex Lite if you are adding many modules.

CR Member
    First Name
    Derek

i too am looking into the apex jr.. its got it all and fully upgradable down the line if you need to add features... great product

CR Member
    First Name
    Derek

mrsaltwatertanktv did a nice lil review of the apex jr on his youtube channel.. check it out.. he explains how nice it is to get everything right from your smart phone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsaltwatertank#p/u/23/x28Myr2119I]mrsaltwatertank's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last