[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

protien skimmer

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default protien skimmer

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#okay i bought a red sea prizm skimmer (hob) and hooked it up the water is flowing perfectly but theres alot of bubbles going into my tank???? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I\'am not afraid of life life is afraid of I, live life far and high until you die. (c) travis heffron (me)

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

you will just have to tweak it a bit. it is new also and skimmers have a break in period to them.
    fulltankshot 1 - protien skimmer

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Do you have the flow valve wide open? If so throttle it back a bit, I find that it works out best with that valve opened to just past the 4 and 10 o'clock position. That will slow down the water flow so the microbubbles don't escape the reaction chamber.

You can improve the skimming by putting the nylon screw in the bottom hole and clamp the skimmer as high as possible, but find something to support it up on the top of the tank.

Pretty good little skimmer for smaller tanks, we've got one on our daughter's 10g and it does a great job, you'll have to report back and update how it does for your 55g.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

a prizm is a venturi system correct, if so you have to fiddle with the air intake. close it all the way the then go about one or one and a quarter revolutions. but it will take you a couple of days to get it dialed in.
    fulltankshot 1 - protien skimmer

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Actually the prizm skimmers don't come with an air control valve, the only real adjustment on a 'stock' model controls water flow on the intake side. The deluxe may have an adjusment though...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I switched the 55g to my 75g tank and it didnt come with the air control valve. I had one from a power head i bought and put it on the air intake on the skimmer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I\'am not afraid of life life is afraid of I, live life far and high until you die. (c) travis heffron (me)