[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Budget protein skimmer

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member

Default Budget protein skimmer

I am trying to find the best skimmer for the least amount of money. Best bang for yer buck kind of thing. Trying to keep it under $150. Any suggestions? I was think about the Turboflotor 1000. Thanks!

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you wont under a 150 best to look at DIY the least expensive one that works
    good [jmo] is going to cost over 240 at least.

You may get a good used one for that if you look around in the for sail forms hear and
    other forums.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

No kidding?? This is for a 55 reef I thought I could get away for something a little cheaper. But, if it is vital, I will spend the $$$. Maybe I will look into the diy....

Quote Originally Posted by pro2k
    No kidding?? This is for a 55 reef I thought I could get away for something a little cheaper. But, if it is vital, I will spend the $$$. Maybe I will look into the diy....
    IF you don't wont to do the DIY look for a good used one u can get a good price
    from someone upgrading

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

For under $150, you will not get much as far a quality goes, seems the $200ish mark is the most common starting point for most good to better skimmers, for example we're running a Berlin Turbo on the 180 now, that was right at $200, it works pretty good, I totally agree with Jerry, my DIY skimmer efforts have been really no less effective than the manufactured one, though I probably spent more building them than it would have cost to buy one, I did however learn a lot in the process so it was time and money well spent.

If you want to try your hand at building one there are tons of plans around, there are some very simple yet effective designs that really work, DIY venturi or airwood are the place to start.

I need to get caught up on a lot of things here and get my drawings and such together and document a lot of the things I've built thus far.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Mine's a DIY... wouldn't go with a manufactured. IMO, you got the money and lack of time, go with the highest $$$ you can afford for a good job(ASM, Euro Reef, etc). As for DIY, look at a new unit at your LFS and make your own plans using gathered materials... the pump will be your greatest expense.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

You can get a Aqua C Remora w/ MaxiJet or the Urchin for $163. You can get them at Marine Depot plus free shipping. I am not sure how many gallons you have all together but both they are rated up to 75 gallons. I know Jerry C has an Urchin on a 55 (sump size?) and he says it works awesome. Both have gotten awesome reviews by multiple reefers. I was going to buy the Remora but decided to bite the bullet and buy the AquaC EV-120 w Mag 5 do to my water volume (90ish). In fact, it is seating next to me, staring at me, wait for me to buy a new sump tank, which will hopefully be tomorrow. You might PM JerryC and get his thoughts on the Urchin.

Here is the link to Marine Depot.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ra.asp?CartId=

PS I am not against DIY anything in fact I have certainly done my share but sometimes its nice to just hook something up and have it work. Alot times I think my DIY project nickel and dime me to death.

I wade get the pro for a 55 all Skimmers or overrated pro with a mag 3 or 5 will
    do you a good job. I'm running the Urchin pro with a Mag 5 dose a good job for
    me.
    I Bought it used off of the sailing form at RC for 125 but you have to watch and look around to get a good price on them

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I just bought the new series Euro-reef skimmer for $200,a little more than the $150 your looking to spend but for the money its probably the best bang for the buck.

BUGZME - Reefkeeper Registered User

I just bought a asm-g1 and it's working great $229.00. spend the money, you'll be glad you did
    THANKS JEFF
    2-45 GALLON FRAG TANKS
    55 SHOW TANK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last