[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Calcium issues!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Calcium issues!

Where is my calcium going? I just tested and my calcium is reading 320/340
    I doesed with Kent CB parts A&B everyday for a week at 2ml part A and 3ml part B. Ya think it'd be higher with the dosing right? I've had this low calcium issues ever since setting up my tank. Never have been able to get it above 400, let alone stay there. I'm not keeping any sps/lps so how worried should I be about the low levels. I do have snails and a shrimp though. I use RO/DI water, and Reef Crystals.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I wouldn't be too worried. You took a big bite with such a small tank for a first (and congrats on doing this well).

How much evap do you get each day?? Do you have to top off daily like I did with my 10 gallon??

If so I could walk you through setting up a drip type top off with Kalk that may help.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

why are you not dosing equal amounts? is something out of wack to start?
    Anyone can grow Zoa's and LPS I have some in my sump.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Speed, I don't remember if it was the same stuff but I had a Kent product for nano reefs, and the directions said to dose more of one than the other, the instructions always worked well for me. So it may just be the product.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I never top off! No need, no evap. I do WC every fri, 2+g. I just tested my new water and it reads: ph 8.4 cal= 460 and sg=1.030 it's a little higher cause I'm trying to raise it from 1.023 to 1.025
    However all these readings change once the water gets into the tank. I was dosing cause of the low cal, it was suggested to me that I do it less of A then B. I'm not totally edu on the chemestry part of water as of yet.
    I do got to say though, that my tank is doing great! No losses of corals (all softies) all other water parameters are right on, Kh is 12, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, and 0 phos ph has always been around 8.4 and my fishes are happy!!

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I never top off! No need, no evap. I do WC every fri, 2+g. I just tested my new water and it reads: ph 8.4 cal= 460 and sg=1.030 it's a little higher cause I'm trying to raise it from 1.023 to 1.025
    However all these readings change once the water gets into the tank. I was dosing cause of the low cal, it was suggested to me that I do it less of A then B. I'm not totally edu on the chemestry part of water as of yet.
    I do got to say though, that my tank is doing great! No losses of corals (all softies) all other water parameters are right on, Kh is 12, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, and 0 phos ph has always been around 8.4 and my fishes are happy!!

your doing better than me with all the zero's/ KH seems highs what brand salt?
    Anyone can grow Zoa's and LPS I have some in my sump.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Reef Crystals. 1 cup per 2 gallons give me an sg of 1.030 a ph of 8.4 and an cal level of 460. Am I maybe not changing enough of the water to raise my levels? Leaving to much of the old water in the tank? I thought a kh level between 10-12 was ok, no?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Reef Crystals. 1 cup per 2 gallons give me an sg of 1.030 a ph of 8.4 and an cal level of 460. Am I maybe not changing enough of the water to raise my levels? Leaving to much of the old water in the tank? I thought a kh level between 10-12 was ok, no?
    Ca and alk influence each other. If one is high the other is low. 10-12 alk is fine but you will have a tough time getting Ca levels up. I'm not familiar with the product you're using but are you sure that you're dosing more of the Ca part and not more on the alk part?

Here's a link to some info and a dosing calculator to help with Ca/alk balance: http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

and another on a DIY two part system that many people (myself included) use: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

HTH,
    Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I'm using Kent CB Parts A&B and guess what, it doesn't say which is what? I do know that when added to the water part B turns cloudy, does that help?

BeakerBob - Reefkeeper
    RIP

Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month

A would be the calcium and B would be the Alkalinity (turns water cloudy).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last