[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Canister Filter , Sump - A few Querstions as I get further..

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Canister Filter , Sump - A few Querstions as I get further..

Hi There, I'm sure this question will be some what stupid, however, I can never find a solid answer to anything regarding reef tanks.
    (Yes, I've come to realise there is no such thing as a text book answer to these tanks or set ups) I currently have a decent sized Canister Filter...

I have been reading about sumps and refugiums trying to figure out
    a) Do I need One?
    b) How to build one?
    c) What about hte canister filter?

So does a sump and refugium replace a canister filter? I have a 40 Gallon Stretch Hex, is there a such thing as pre-built sumps and refugiums?

I see all these articles and ideas of people who have built their own.... Being some what handy but not very knowledgable... How?

- Sub Question.... I've decided after all the reading I've done, my 55w Power Compact light will be inadequate for what I want to house in the tank.

my tank being 30" across (being HEX) makes light selection a little difficult - I of course want the best lights I can get for my tank, with out being over-kill.

I'm not sure if anybody can give DIRECT recomentations to a specific product or item, but if that's possible I'd be VERY GREATFUL!

I too am VERY new to this hobby. But I run both a canister and a sump. I have decided that the sump system is nearly as much fun as the display tank. It has live rock, sand and grows stuff just like the main tank...only miniature. I would highly recommend getting a sump in addition to, or as a replacement to your canister, just so you have something else to have fun with! .

Lets see what the pros in here say though....
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have been reading about sumps and refugiums trying to figure out
    a) Do I need One?
    b) How to build one?
    c) What about hte canister filter?
    a)no,you dont need one but they do have alot of advatages over sumpless systems
    b)For my first sump,I used a 10gal aquarium but any container that'll hold water will work
    c)Canister filters are really not idea for reef tanks,although they do make a decent media(carbon,phos-ban,etc..)filter.
    So does a sump and refugium replace a canister filter?
    I have a 40 Gallon Stretch Hex, is there a such thing as pre-built sumps and refugiums?
    They don't really replace a canister filter because a canister filter should only be used for chemical media and water movement.A sump has many functions,it increases your total system water thus making the system more stable,it is a good place to put equiptment,its a good place to grow macroalgae(macro-fuge),it provides good gas exchange/aeration for the tank,and also provides water movement.
    There are pre-made sumps/refuges but they're expensive and your stuck with someone else's design.It is very easy to convert an old fishtank or a rubbermaid container into a sump and customize it to your liking.
    Sub Question.... I've decided after all the reading I've done, my 55w Power Compact light will be inadequate for what I want to house in the tank.
    my tank being 30" across (being HEX) makes light selection a little difficult - I of course want the best lights I can get for my tank, with out being over-kill.
    I'm not sure if anybody can give DIRECT recomentations to a specific product or item, but if that's possible I'd be VERY GREATFUL
    For a tank that's 30",a single Metal Halide (175w or 250w)would be idea IMO
    CoralVue sells there 250w MH retro(electronic ballast,reflector,socket,bulb)for $180,check e-bay as well,there are always good deals there.I paid $20 a piece for my 250w ballasts.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

To me a sump is a must lets you get things out of the display and increases water Valium.
    Add in a refugium to the sump for nutrient export makes it even better as for as your canister i don't use them may be alright to occasionally palish the water. As far as lighting you need to get some ideal whit you wont to keep metal halide is the one for SPS tank but you can keep some SPS with VHO are T lamps. florescent T5 and VHO will let you keep all but the hard to keep SPS. power compact florescent is good for soft coral and most LPS. [jmo]

Theres a good thread hear on sumps
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Recommendation of a sump that I am happy with so far.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1315

COMES WITH EVERYTHING!
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner
    Recommendation of a sump that I am happy with so far. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=1315
    COMES WITH EVERYTHING!
    True.... Comes with everything, but I've got a really nice skimmer already, not sure i need another I think that would be overkill.
    I look at some of these fancy acrylic sumps and such people have made.... I want to do something like that!

Thanks for the other advise, I'll look up more on lighting. I've also got a glass top on the tank, is it safe to assume the tank would do better with out the glass top and lights either hanging or elevated?

** Currently there is nothing but water and live sand in my tank - rock is forth coming.... I just want to get my set up straight!

Is this the light you were refering to?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralvue-250w-me...QQcmdZViewItem

If so... the pictures are horrible, how is is useable, what work has to be done to it to make it usable?

yeah,thats it.That retro is plug-n-play.Just need to install the reflector/socket in your canopy/fixture/hood.You will also need a 3-4" fan in the canopy to keep things cool

Great, new problem... There is no Canopy or Hood. Just a glass top and a light sitting on top of that.......

How are you at woodworking?You will need to build a canopy/fixture to mount the reflector/halide in.You might be able to find a place online that sells them but they tend to be expensive.I built both of my canopys for my 2 tanks for only $60.Where are u located at?You should look into joining a reef club in your area where you might be able to enlist the services of one of there members.Or just start a thread here,there's more than enough DIY guys on this site that can help you with the design/buiding of it.
    BTW,glass tops are to be avoided in tanks,most of the gas exchange in your tank takes place at the waters surface.Glass tops hinder this process as well as block out useable light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last