[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)

After switching over to an Iwasaki bulb a few days ago,I planned on switching out my M58/H37 ballast to a H37 ballast(H37 is the preffered Iwasaki ballast).
    After talking with Dakar,he recommended just switching the capacitors out.
    The M58/H37 uses a 15uF cap while the H37 uses a 22.5uF cap.The results are in the pics.
    2003 0101sakiballast0002 - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)
    2003 0101sakiballast0005 - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)
    2003 0101sakiballast0001 - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)
    This is a before pic taken without actinics
    15ufcap - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)
    And a really bad after pic(microbubbles,forgot to fill up the top-off bucket)
    22 - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)

Here's another shot after i topped off,LOL.With this pic,I reduced the exposure so it didn't appear so bright.
    22uF - changed capacitors on my ballast(pics)

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

At least in the photos, it looks like the capacitor change alone made a lot of difference.. the additional punch of the larger cap really drives the Iwasaki bulb. Given the exposure limits of cameras, how does it look in person?

Maybe my thoughts on the MagnaCrap ballasts weren't so far off, the core/coils are pretty much identical in their output voltage/current, but the cap's are what really makes the difference. The 22.5uF on the true H37 releases a larger current each time it discharges vs. th 15uF on the MH/MV combo.

Notice any significant start up time differeces?
    Still going to hook up the Advance core and see if there is a difference?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Start up time was a little quicker.The bulb does seem to be brighter with the new cap.I'm still gonna switch out the ballast to the Advance H37 though.I'd say the pictures accurately represent the color/brightness.Now,to just build a new canopy and install my 2x39w-T5-blue+ and this tank will be complete.

Well,I made the mistake of not insulating the capacitor leads.I figured since i'd be switching the ballasts out today,I left the enclosure open.Well,I gotta phone call from my wife today while i was at the LFS.She told me the ballast sounded like it exploded.Seems one of the leads from the capacitor touched the aluminum enclosure(ground)and it exploded.

Dakar,you wouldn't happen to know of a source for these caps would you,LOL.Lesson to all,always insulate all electrical connections.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

LOL... it spooged! Aww man it was the good cap too!

Sourcing the cap is gonna get tricky, call any local electrical supply wharehouses and hope you get lucky... in the interim you can safely use the 15uF capacitor and fire the Iwasaki like it was a halide.. I'll dig through my parts and see if I have an extra.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dave a another good place to find them is a electrical motor shop i get most of the ones i use from one.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Well,I switched out the ballasts.I decided to pull out the Magnatek and relplace it with an Advance M58/H37 i have.Once i find one of those 22.5uF caps,I'll put the true H37 ballast back in.

I've got 2 caps in my garage, but I think they're different from what you need. Let me see if I can find them..

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last