[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

chiller????

Bookmark and Share
    Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default chiller????

I just got a idea, i dont know anything about them, or haveone or need one but iv had this idea for a very cheap chiller, couldnt u just some how use a mini freezer or fridge as one. like run a pump line inside swirl around a few times then come out into the tank. what do u guys think of this idea?
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

CR Member

That's basically what a chiller is. It wouldn't be quite as efficient, or have a direct temp control, but I suppose you could make it work. You would have to utilize a temp controller in order to turn on/off the fridge/freezer as necessary. In the long run, I think you would end up spending more $ on electricity due to inefficiency.

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

yeah temp control would be my concern.

CR Member

already been done the problem is temp control and material use inside of the fridge since plastic hose is actually kind of an insulator so not enough heat transfer. Better to just look for a used chiller on the forums or maybe buy a titanium coil on ebay and use that instead.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

there has to be some kind of calculation you can use to dial it in. like there is only 14 inces of tube inside of the fridge and that 14inches will be related to the tank size. seems to me like you could make it work but there would be a lot of dialing it in.

CR Member

I searched around and found a brand new (hooked up once) chiller for $300 that retailed at $850+. I negotiated shipping and it came to $320 shipped. IMO, it's not worth the time and effort to try and rig up something that might work, and in the end probably cost the same and not be as efficient.

CR Member

Yeah same here, I found an AquaLogic 1/3hp for 200 used one summer. So it is not worth it especially if you you have to buy a mini fridge,etc!!! Everything but the chiller in my tank is jerry rigged, so believe me I already tried going that route. Hope that helps!!!