[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Closed Loop Guru's

Bookmark and Share
    cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Default Closed Loop Guru's

I am finally planning my new setup. 96"*24"*12" it has a 72"*18"*18" sump and will have three 250 halides.
    I am looking for suggestions for the closed loop. I am planning it as a mixed shallow reef and do not want any power heads. I will also be drilling a single 3/4" return. I would like suggestions for hole placements and both the closed loop pump and the return pump. The tank bottom is half inch glass and the back is three eighths.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

You can pretty much put the holes anywhere. @Tankster had his drilled so that a couple of the bulk heads came up through the bottom in the front of the tank and pointed back at the rockwork. I think he had the plumbing concealed from the front with a small pile of rocks (and sand).

I've had both a closed loop and power head tank. I prefer the vortechs now over a power head or closed loop because of control and power savings. My closed loop was in the back wall and used an oceans motions to randomize the flow.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 04-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Gotta agree with Jim.I have a four port CL on the back wall of my 150 and now that I have vortechs there's really no need for it.CL require a large pump to get any real advantage from them which means more power usage! And there is no changeing the location.With good power heads like the vortechs you have the freedom to move the flow versus rearranging.I already plan to not to replace my closed loop pump if and when it fails.In the future I will never use a CL again the cost to advantage ratio is not even close to being worth it.With a tank of that size you will need either a dart or hammer head pump and need to drill at least four holes and a large drain. You will want to make sure the the drain is larger so the pump does not cavitate.pumps of that size rang Fromm 400 to 600 watts running all the time. That's allot of Money in the long run.Mp60 's run allot up front but would do a great job on that tank and can be moved and adjusted and require one sixth of the power and are now completely adjustable and have so many diffrent ways they can be set up.Good luck and if it we're me I would seriously reconsider the closed loop idea.Might also want to make sure the bottom is not tempered glass also.
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-25-2012 at 04:18 AM.

I had a closed loop on my 120g and the returns were designed to keep the detritus suspended. I would seriously consider going the vortech route if I were to do it over again. Picture457 - Closed Loop Guru's

Picture467 - Closed Loop Guru's

Picture411 - Closed Loop Guru's

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

I was expecting the Vortech backlash. After reading all the nightmare stories of the first Vortechs I am still uncomfortable with them. Not only can I not afford the two mp60s this tank would require I can not afford a back up. I am running a closed loop on my 48*24*12 and have been very happy with it. I am really looking for placement and pump suggestions. The bottom is not tempered and has been drilled for two 1 1/2 inch intakes.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by cephalotus View Post
    I was expecting the Vortech backlash. After reading all the nightmare stories of the first Vortechs I am still uncomfortable with them. Not only can I not afford the two mp60s this tank would require I can not afford a back up. I am running a closed loop on my 48*24*12 and have been very happy with it. I am really looking for placement and pump suggestions. The bottom is not tempered and has been drilled for two 1 1/2 inch intakes.
    ok no vortech's that's cool.How about with the two 1 1/2 drains you do two closed loops with smaller pumps like a blueline 100 hp.I would use 1 inch pipe for the loop and the 1.5 for the return.You could do a real cool loop like this and keep the cost's down as well as the wattage.Your back walls pretty thin so that would be out in my book on an eight footer for sure.I would start by doing a mock up of the rock scape on a table or the ground so you know where you can and can't drill. Also you could plan pipeing to go through the rockscape and that would be one loop.I would try for three holes to get flow to the left middle and right side of the scape.You could then do another loop to suspended detrius and get flow.Maybee a spray bar in the back and a port near each corner.There's lots of way's to do it.Budget and rockscape has allot to do with it.Mocking up the rockscape will help you decied whats best for you.Good luck
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-26-2012 at 12:45 AM.