[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Controller advice needed

Bookmark and Share
    BEETLE60 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bruce

Default Controller advice needed

Hi guys, I have a big problem, my job now takes me away from home for weeks at a time and my tank is suffering,my wife does a wonderful job while I'm gone ,water changes ,manual doseing ,feeding etc but she's not up to speed with all the testing and the rest of the tank management that needs doing so, I was after some advice as to how to combat this problem,I'm going to build a new sump and add an ATO ,thats ok but can you get controllers and probes that will monitor levels like PO4 etc that I can monitor over the internet? I have no experience with controllers,I'm reasonably computer savy and I know it will cost a bit but I think I have no choice
    If anyone can give me some info on what sort of gear I should be looking at my fishies will really love that
    p.s I work wacky hours midday till midnight but I will check in every day and reply to any info needed to shed some advice this way
    Thanks guys regards Beetle

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I don't know of a controller that reads Po4 but the apex controller will allow you to monitor Ph ,temp and orp. The Apex also allows you to control it very easily via the web,it will e mail you alerts even of temp issues and whatever else you program it,you can also control it with your cell phone from anywhere in the world.In my opinion it's the best you can do.The reef keeper elite also has the same ability. Here's some links.

Neptune Systems APEX Aqua Controller - AquaCave.com

Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper ELITE V2 System - AquaCave.com

Hope it helps.

First Name
    Bruce

Sure does help,with so much stuff on the market it helps to start looking at gear that other people rate so highly,
    now to get to work on the new sump first(when I get home) I might even do a build thread on the revamp of my system and maybe pick up some more advice along the way
    Thanks ,Bruce

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

A controller is a nice piece of equipment to have. I'll second Binford's recommendations. I'll add that I run a ReefKeeper lite, which is good for temp and lighting control but needs additional modules to connect to the internet or monitor other parameters (pH, ORP). It does the minimum I need it to do but I would like to upgrade to an APEX... eventually.

Also a controller can use float switches to control pumps... which means it can also be your ATO. So, buying a separate ATO is not necessary.

Tom

First Name
    Bruce

Thanks for the tip Tom, I think the fewer plugs the better so if a controller do the ato then cool ! I will definatly need a net connection to monitor as much as I can then control ato and doseing from my computer or at least be able give advice to my better half and she can do what needs to be done

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by BEETLE60 View Post
    Thanks for the tip Tom, I think the fewer plugs the better so if a controller do the ato then cool ! I will definatly need a net connection to monitor as much as I can then control ato and doseing from my computer or at least be able give advice to my better half and she can do what needs to be done
    You can doase with the apex and do top off. I have done it but found it very hard to be vary accurate with the delay of the switching unit in the dc8. It did work but have found the spectra pure doaser and ato to be so accurate that it was money well spent. The Apex does do a great job of pump control and light control as well as things on timers and alarm set points such as a fan for blowing across the fuge to control temp swings and Ph swings such as off hour fuge lighting. I think the Apex is the best for the money to be honest and the 32bit processor allows you to do allot with it. Good luck

First Name
    Bruce

Alot of food for thought Chris ,it seems like the RA or Apex are the choice of guys in the know so I will research both prodcts and see what I come up with, first off I need to see if they on the market over here in OZ,if not I'll just use a voltage inverter and get my stuff from the states !
    I had a look at the spectra pure ato and it looks like a good unit so I think we've solved one thing ,now to check otu the controllers
    Thanks guys you really have set me on the right path here so I'll keep up dates on my progress and I got the ok from the boss to set up a new tank so now it's a whole set up not just a sump.... COOOOOOL !!
    the trade off is the old tank is to be turned into a seahorse only tank ...the sacrifices we make ......

First Name
    Bruce

Thanks to all for your input, I've had a chat with Roberto from RA and I think an RA unit is the go for me
    I will post some pics once the tank is under control