[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CPR Backpack Bio-Bale Question

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default CPR Backpack Bio-Bale Question

This thread was automatically created from a recent chatbox discussion. The chat discussion starts on post 2.

CR Member

i have a cpr bakpak on my tank

CR Member

is bio bale good or no to use

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I had the CPR skimmer in my biocube and I left the bio bale in. I got to many bubbles without it .
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Tropical Buff - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bart
    Blog Entries

I am currently running 2 units on my 75 gal tank a standard and a dual and struggle with micro bubbles

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default biobale removed

I have a cpr bakpak2 on my tank. I removed the biobale and use it for skimmer only. I was in a long term battle with algae and thought the biobale may be contributing to the problem. After talking to my LFS, they suggested removing it as they agreed it traps a lot of detritus. If you do leave it in, make sure to pull the biobale out and shake off the trapped detritus in tank water removed when you do water changes. The biobale is very coiled/springy and will splat junk all over the place when you pull it out of the bakpak chamber...just a heads up. I do have many more bubbles entering the tank now that the biobale is removed. You can rotate the return water outlet to face the side of aquarium to reduce bubbles flowing to other parts of the tank. My LFS also put forth the idea of replacing the biobale with soem chaeto and adding JBJ nano-light to the side of the Bakpak. I have not tried this but it is something I might in the future.

I also have a Aquaclear HOB filter on my tank. The biomax substrate that comes with the filter traps much less detritus than the biobale.

lngliv3 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim

I have a cpr bakpak on my 30 gal tank. I use the bio bale in the filter chamber i also have a phosphate ammonia and other stuff filter pad I inserted the filter pad on an angle from the tank side to the back side of the filter upward basically adding another filter media to help remove the bad stuff . I turned the water return toward the right side cause ya cant turn it to the left because of the filter bracket on an upward tilt to break up the air bubbles... Before I added the filter pad i didnt have any micro air bubbles .... I am running a rio 600 with the venturi intake with no issues...
    I enclosed a few pics to show the water return discharge and the filter pad...
    Attached Images Attached Images