[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DI resin storage?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default DI resin storage?

How/where do you store your DI resin? For how long before using it?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReefWerks - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jonathan

We buy LTOC (low total organic carbon) grade, which is better than nuclear grade. It comes in 5 or 7 cubic foot fiber drums, with a plastic bag liner sealed with a cable tie. We've stored it for as long as two years without degradation.

If not an option, re-sealable bag, try to iron it shut. Vacuum seal bags are best bet.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This is a small unit. Making very small amounts of water over long periods. About 20g a month. I've been told to refrigerate it. Didn't know about vacuum packing, also not an option.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Try not to buy more than you can use in 6 months, many vendors package it in 20 oz portions which is exatly what fills a refillable 10" vertical cartridge tightly.
    If you must buy it in larger quantities I recommend repacaging it in 20 oz bags vacuum sealed with a Sael A Meal type device then store it in the back of the refrigerator so it stays damp, cool and out of direct lighting. Dryness, heat and lighting will kill any DI resin. Most resins have a proven 6-12 month shelf life even when properly stored and degrade with time. Often short DI life is attributed to old age or improper storage or both.
    I make about 100 gallons a month and my DI cartridges last close to a year so I don't even buy a replacement until about the 9 month mark.