[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dimming LEDs with an Apex

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Dimming LEDs with an Apex

Anyone using an Apex to control (dim) their LEDs? What do I need...is there a certain cable? The drivers are MeanWell ELN-60-48D if it makes any difference. Any example programs or tips for getting it setup would be appreciated.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I don't have either but I believe you will use the 0-10V outputs to control the drivers. Sorry I can't be more help.

Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I thought I could do it with the Apex right out of the box.

However, I see that Apex has a VDM Module for controlling LEDs. Not sure if I need that or not? I don't think I care about lightning storms and cloud cover. However, I would like to be able to simulate sunrise/sunset and lunar cycles though.

Neptune Systems - AquaControllers - Variable Speed/Dimming Module (VDM)

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Jim,I'm useing my apex with a vdm to control and dim the AI SOL LED's. Personally it s@#ks and you need a phd to figure it out.Lots of virtual programs.Hate to say it but R/C has a bunch of examples on how to program it and set it up.You do need their cable also.If it will help I can send you my web link and you can look at what I did

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I may take you up on being able to see your program.

I found this link here: Neptun Apex Setup & Programing

It looks like I may need to make my own cable using an RJ45 connector.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Good luck!! If you need one aqua cave has good prices.LMK if you need a peak.Personaly I'd see if AI's would work.Very easy to change and to set up unless you enjoy day's of frustration and the ocasional ranting,It's really that big of a PITA.I wouldn't recomend talking to apex either unless you enjoy yelling at people on the phone and screaming WTH or worst--customer service is not their strong point. lol

Just looked at the link you posted,hence that is where my hatred of the apex began

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    unless you enjoy day's of frustration and the occasional ranting,It's really that big of a PITA.I wouldn't recommend talking to apex either unless
    I am used to self inflicted aggravation...I started a reef forum after all.

I haven't had too bad of luck with Neptune's customer service. At least you get to talk to someone and I seem to get resolution when I have had problems. They are a little short on personality but I don't blame them...for the most part they probably have to walk non-technical people through the same problems (e.g., how to connect the controller to a router) all day long.

It could be worse....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lzz8KER520&feature=related]‪Discover Card - Peggy Customer Service #2‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I am used to self inflicted aggravation...I started a reef forum after all.

I haven't had too bad of luck with Neptune's customer service. At least you get to talk to someone and I seem to get resolution when I have had problems. They are a little short on personality but I don't blame them...for the most part they probably have to walk non-technical people through the same problems (e.g., how to connect the controller to a router) all day long.

It could be worse....
    &#x202aDiscover Card - Peggy Customer Service #2&#x202c‏ - YouTube

Oh man Peggy left neptune lol Know what are we going to do.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Jim,I'm useing my apex with a vdm to control and dim the AI SOL LED's. Personally it s@#ks and you need a phd to figure it out.Lots of virtual programs.Hate to say it but R/C has a bunch of examples on how to program it and set it up.You do need their cable also.If it will help I can send you my web link and you can look at what I did
    Are you able to also manually control the LEDs using the controller (e.g., aquanotes or via web)?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Are you able to also manually control the LEDs using the controller (e.g., aquanotes or via web)?
    yes you can adjust the light levels useing the laptop or my phone.You'll have to program virtual programs for sunrise,sunset, blue control,white control,and storm if you want it then program ramps and intesity levels too.It is these ramp times and intensity levels that you use to adjust the percentage of the light power.Make sense?? Like I said,get into mine and copy what you need.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last