[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

who's using ozone?

Bookmark and Share
    buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default who's using ozone?

so i'm going to be setting up ozone on my now 125gal system soon and am just wondering who on here is currently using ozone. what do you use as a reactor? how do you run carbon? what equipment do you have?

i'm getting an ozotech adjustable 200mg/hr generator where i'm a bit leary is the reactor. i don't want to use my sro xp2000i because i still want a viable skimmer operating. i'm hoping to be able to use an aqua pro aquatics skimmer i picked up cheap just not too sure how to employ the carbon.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't know anyone running ozone nor have I really seen any threads about it. So, I cant offer any advice, but just out of curiosity, why are you looking to run ozone?

Quote Originally Posted by buk View Post
    so i'm going to be setting up ozone on my now 125gal system soon and am just wondering who on here is currently using ozone. what do you use as a reactor? how do you run carbon? what equipment do you have?

i'm getting an ozotech adjustable 200mg/hr generator where i'm a bit leary is the reactor. i don't want to use my sro xp2000i because i still want a viable skimmer operating. i'm hoping to be able to use an aqua pro aquatics skimmer i picked up cheap just not too sure how to employ the carbon.
    i like the benefits of clearer water and cleaner looking tank. that would help me utilize my lighting better. i also have a slight problem with algae and would like the aid in clearing it out. plus i've always loved the look of zoas in a tank with ozone. so bright and such long skirts for the most part.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

this is the reactor I used when I ran an ozone set up.

OctopusOzone1 - who's using ozone?
    It's alittle pricey but extending the dwell time makes a major diffrence in water clairity.You will also see a major improvement in skimmer reaction when you start useing ozone.On the down side,if your ORP levels spike it can crash your tank.Best advice I can give is run the ozone as low as you can.Good luck

binford, did it work well for you? is there anything you would have changed about it? do you still have the reactor?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Sorry don't have it anymore The reactor did perform well tho.There use to be allot of threads on RC about ozone if your looking for information sources.I personaly think ozone does work well in the short term but noticed a reduction of the benifts after a year or so.It did maintain clear water tho.

hmmm...i've done quite a bit of research over the last year or two but have never heard of the benefits decreasing. what changed for you? or i guess what decreased?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

skimmer reaction with my old skimmer slowed down compared to earlier and the polyop extension seamed to retract also.The water was crystal clear tho. Once I upgraded to a bubble king skimmer I really didn't feel I needed it also

good food for though. i'll definitely keep that in mind so i know what's going on if it happens to me. thanks binford

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by buk View Post
    good food for though. i'll definitely keep that in mind so i know what's going on if it happens to me. thanks binford
    It sounds like you've done the homework.The reactor is a nice unit and I ended up with this by progresson of going cheap first then buying my way up by trial and error to getting what I wanted for results.I think you'll like this one.Mrs Binford say's I should describe ozone better for people who read this,because she say's I make it sounds like all it will do is just give you clear water.So I'll try not to hijack your post.There's many advatages to ozone and also disadvantages.First the advantages,crystal clear water by reduceing turbidity and agents of color which results in higher par readings from exsiting light fixtures,another significant things is improved skimmer reaction due to the injection of ozone.As a strong oxidant,unstable ozone molucles are eager to engage organic matter improveing the reaction in the bubble chamber.Ozone usage will also improve the effects of useing a UV sterlizer.Ozone also helps to control epizootic diseases and reducess stress on fish with parasite issues.It also helps improve oxygen and redox potentials and the conversion of organic material to more easily absorbed forms.Now for the Negative side,EXCESS OZONE CAN KILL EVERYTHING IN YOUR TANK,It can also deteriate plastic so you must be carefull to ensure that equipment is ozone rated.Ozone leaks in your atmosphere can cause health issues also.It's important to have a method of measureing your ORP.Today's higher end controlers do thankfully measure it for you by way of probes and the new generator's are very controlable by orp doase levels.As Buk stated it's very important to have a reactor that use's carbon to elimante excess ozone.Before useing ozone you should be honest to yourself about your husbandry habits and be very faithfull to water change scheaduales and feeding times.End of my discripton,thanks for letting me share and hope it helps if anyone reads this way to long of a response and gets the wife off my back about being too vauge in my responses. LOL

here's a video of it in action.The tube going out the window usually goes to the carbon chamber

Last edited by binford4000; 11-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.