[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dosing Magnesium

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Dosing Magnesium

I've begun dosing with Kent Tech M Magnesium. Directions call for, 1ml (1/4 tsp) per gallon. It says to do this every day to bring the level to between 1250 and 1350ppm. This will raise the level by 18.3ppm per day. Is there a test kit for Magnesium? (I know kind of late in asking right)
    My reason for dosing with Magnesium is to maintain my calcium levels, which I have been having a very hard time doing. I've never been able to get it above 400. Usually it's at 380. Also some research is proving that dosing with Magnesium controls and will eradicate hair algae growth.
    I've also been dosing with Kent, Tech CB. Parts A&B at 2ml of A and 3ml of B daily. Again in hopes of raising and maintaining my calcium levels.
    I have a feeling there gonna be a lot of questions about my tank, so I'm prepared. If anyone can tell me how to maintain my tank without dosing at all, please do so. I don't want to dose at all!!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

It is a good general rule that you don't dose what you don't test for. I would invest in a magnesium test kit. Also if you don't have one I would suggest an alkalinity test kit. Depending on the corals you are keeping it may be possible that you don't have to dose anything at this stage. In many cases if you are only keeping soft corals consumption of calcium and carbonate isn't significant. This being the case you could likely replenish what you use with regular water changes. As far as treating hair algae with magnesium? There may be a bit of confusion here. There are reefers who combat bryopsis by raising their magnesium levels to unnatural levels. However hair algae and bryopsis are 2 different things. I would recommend doing a google search for pictures to determine which one you have. In either case the algae is feeding off of a nutrient source. In most cases phosphate. (PO4) There can be a number of sources for the excess phosphate. Most commonly fish food and source water. It is highly recommended that you use only RO/DI water. This will alleviate the great majority of problems with a reef tank. In terms of fish food, you have to remove what you put in. While your fish eat the food that you put in the tank they likely do not digest all nutrients contained in the food. I have read that most sources of nutrition on a coral reef go through 3 guts before they are exausted of all nutrient. This being the case you are likely left with some "waste" nutrients after the food is digested. This waste needs to be removed via cleanup crew, aggressive protein skimming, water changes, and possibly some form of absorbent such a GFO (granular ferric oxide). First and foremost water changes are your friend.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I ment bryopsis and not HA. I do WC every 5-7 days at 2+g's. As I've had no fish in my tank for 4 months I cant see where the nutrient source is coming from. I have a very nice mixed CUC. 5 nassarius snails, 1 peppermint shirmp, 2 turbo snails, 1 hermit, and 1 very large bristle worm + a few tiny ones.
    As of today? My water parimeters are as follows:
    Ammonia=0
    Nitrates=0
    Nitrites=0
    PH=8.4
    Cal=380 Even though I'm dosing with Kent Tech CB Parts A&B at 2ml part A and 3ml Part B daily I cannot get my Cal above 380. 400 being the highest achieved but not maintained.
    Phos=0
    dKh=12
    Temp 78-80
    10oz bag of Chemipure Elite in second chamber along with LR rubble.
    x1 18w 10.000k florecent, x1 18w 10.000k atenic, x2 moon leds
    Florecents are timed for 8hrs daily, atenic's 10hrs.

Don't think I'm missing anything.....
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

How old is the tank Miz? Often times a tank needs to mature for a while before it starts to stabilize. When you take liverock out of the ocean and ship it across the planet, there is a pretty good amount of die off. These organisms left in the rock need to break down and this takes time. Also over the counter phosphate test kits are fairly worthless. If the algae is present something is feeding it. I would recommend spending some time reading about phosphate, its effects in aquaria, and methods to get rid of it. This is a fairly important and expansive aspect of the reefing hobby.