[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Eco-Tech Voluntary Recall on Battery Backup Cable

Bookmark and Share
    cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Default Eco-Tech Voluntary Recall on Battery Backup Cable

I just thought i'd give you fellow reefers a headsup. I received an email from eco-tech today about a voluntary recall. I copied the email to this post. See below:

JUly 9, 2010
    Product Recall
    EcoTech Marine has issued a voluntary recall of the Battery Backup cable used for the VorTech pump.
    CLICK HERE for more information.

EcoTech Marine has issued a voluntary recall on the Battery Backup cable for the EcoTech Marine Battery Backup. This recall also affects the cables supplied with the IceCap Battery Backup for the VorTech propeller pump, however IceCap, Inc. will be handling the recall of the cables for their accessory independently of us and we recommend that you contact them directly regarding a recall of their cables. It is important to note that this issue only affects those Battery Backup cables that are used with VorTech propeller pumps powered by the Wireless Wave Driver (WWD) driver but this recall will cover all Battery Backup cables regardless of which driver is connected with the cable.
    VorTech pumps operating with the WWD may experience an electrical fault condition. In these cases, a battery backup could supply more current than the connection cable can handle which could cause the cable to heat up to an unsafe level. Therefore, there is a voluntary recall on the connection cable for the EcoTech Marine Battery Backup for the VorTech propeller pump. Note the same issue will occur with the IceCap Battery Backup cable for the VorTech propeller pumps sold in United States and Canada. This will apply to Battery Backups used with all the following models of EcoTech Marine VorTech pumps:
    - All MP40w Pumps equipped with the WWD
    - Any MP40 and MP20 pumps that have been upgraded to the WWD
    Note: this issue does not affect the use of the Battery Backup connection cable when used with MP10, MP10 ES, MP10w ES, MP20, MP40w ES, or any model VorTech pump that does not use a WWD driver. However, anyone that has purchased an EcoTech Marine Battery Backup will be eligible to participate in this recall regardless of what model VorTech propeller pump they are using.
    To correct this problem swiftly and safely, we have revised the cables used with our Battery Backup accessory to include a cable that has an inline fuse built in. Any purchaser of an EcoTech Marine Battery Backup is eligible for this recall at no cost. Our revised cable will also solve this risk for use with IceCap batteries; however they will be handling the distribution of these components to their customers separately from us.
    If you have purchased an IceCap Battery Backup (as indicated by the presence of their logo on the accessory) or IceCap Battery Backup connection cable, please contact them directly for support at service@icecapinc.com or 1-800-7-ICECAP. If you have purchased an EcoTech Marine Battery Backup please refer to below:
    To receive replacement cables, please fill out our recall request form. We will send you replacement cables free of charge upon submission of the form. Discontinue use of the previous connection cables. Note that we are not requesting that you return your non-fused cables to us. Please destroy the non-fused cables by cutting them in half and dispose of them so that they cannot be used. If you have any questions, please email us at service@ecotechmarine.com or call us at 1-888-785-0338.
    If you are an international client, revised battery back cables will be supplied through your local distributor, a list of who are available on our website here: http://ecotechmarine.com/where-to-bu...-distributors/
    In order to improve the efficiency of this action, we will also be selling cables through our parts store below our cost to any customer that wishes to place an order immediately and forego the recall paper work. The revised cables will be available on our website for $1.50 each plus $3 shipping to US customers only for a period of approximately three months from the date of the recall.
    From this date forward, all EcoTech Marine Battery Backups will contain the new fuse styled cables, which are distinguishable by the presence of a fuse holder built into the cable and a label showing part number 10427. However, there may still exist inventory that will contain the previous non-fused cable. If you purchase an EcoTech Marine Battery Backup from a vendor and it does not feature the new style cable with fuse, please contact us for your replacement cables.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    CLICK HERE for more information.

Regards,
    Tim Marks
    President
    EcoTech Marine, LLC

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I had this exact problem occur with an Icecap version of the battery backup a few months ago. The Vortech battery backup cable completely MELTED. I was fortunate it did not result in a fire. Icecap replaced the battery backup and the cable (although the replacement cable does not contain a fuse.)

I've written Icecap to determine how to obtain the fused cables.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 07-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Funny- I saw hints of this smae thing yesterday, and thought to myself....why hasnt there been a recall!

Very cool to see that its voluntary. Says a lot about the company.

First Name
    Thomas

Default IceCap Not Honoring Recall

Below is an email exchange with IceCap regarding the defective (and dangerous) battery backup cables that have been recalled by Ecotech Marine. Contrary to the information provided by Ecotech, IceCap indicates they are NOT honoring the recall...

Dave,

I'm very disappointed to learn that IceCap is not replacing the defective cables – especially as I have already experienced this failure resulting in the melting and near fire of an IceCap manufactured Ecotech Marine backup unit. I assume you recall your replacement of my unit on 1/12/2010 with the request I return the burned unit to you so you could determine the cause of the failure? Based on the recall, I'm assuming I'm not the only one that experienced this failure.

I’ll share Icecaps response in the forums discussing this issue so others will be aware. I'll also follow up with Vortech to determine their response based on IceCaps decision not to replace the defective cables.

Best regards,

Thomas Conwell

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:41 AM
    To: Thomas Conwell
    Subject: Re: Vortech Battery Back Up cable recall

(emphasis added by IceCap) There is no agreement between Icecap and Ecotech marine on the battery cable issue. I realize Ecotech is providing instructions but they failed to coordinate and get an agreement with Icecap. Icecap will not be handling this recall at this time. It could change in the future if Ecotech marine reaches an agreement with Icecap.
    Dave
    IceCap Service Manager

----- Original Message -----
    To: service@icecapinc.com
    Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 5:47 PM
    Subject: Vortech Battery Back Up cable recall

I just learned of a recall on the Vortech battery backup cables. I had a failure that resulted in the melting of a battery cable a few months ago. The battery and cables were replaced by Icecap at that time, but I am now concerned the battery cables I was provided may be subject to the same melting/fire concerns. I presently have cables powering 2 MP40s. Please advise as to how I can obtained the safe power cords. My shipping address is;

Thomas Conwell
    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx, MI xxxxx

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

-Tom
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 07-13-2010 at 10:08 AM.

First Name
    Thomas

Default IceCap Not Honoring Recall

Duplicate Post
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 07-13-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

That doesnt sound good....

First Name
    Thomas

Update - I just spoke with Ecotech Marine, they are sending 2 replacement fused cables. Icecap indicated they just learned of the recall on Friday (apparently from my email) and had not been provided any replacement cables from Ecotech.

I've removed my Icecap/Ecotech backup (still on UPS) until I receive and can install the new fused cables.