[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ecotech Radion Tank - LPS/SPS Help w/Lighting

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Ecotech Radion Tank - LPS/SPS Help w/Lighting

Hoping someone here can help me out.

I've got some Radions over my 125 gallon, about 3 months old. I've discovered that my Acanthophylia is bleaching. I've moved him, and hopefully he'll start to regain coloration.

My quandry/question is those of you who are keeping a SPS/LPS tank, what brightness/colors are you using with your Radions? I love LPS (who doesn't) and want to successfully keep it; I'd certainly have an easier time if my tank was deeper.

I've tried to be pretty conscious of how 'powerful' radions/LEDs are, but I'm afraid if I dial them down too much, I won't be able to keep SPS. I even suspect too low a lighting may be the reason I lost one of my pieces of SPS/acros but I'm trying to find that happy place and think I need some help.

I'm wondering what kind of intensity with blues / royal blues/ cool whites, brightness & length of photoperiod people are using who are successfully keeping these corals?

My acan's, and my aussie gold torch, favite and blasto's are all looking good. I was running a photoperiod from about 10am-12am, following 'Mr. Saltwater's' guide online for radion's; just changed it a bit to start at 12 noon - 11:30pm

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    How are you running your radions? Do they ramp up/down all day or a steady setting, how intense are they (or where do they start,peak and end), etc. etc. etc.

Running them for 12-14 hours no matter what setting I doubt lack of light was the reason for anything, unless you had it shaded. I don't run my radion on either of my sps tanks right now, but both of them have LED's and if 12-14 hrs at any setting was to low of light my tanks would be done for along time ago as I only run them for 6-8 hrs.
    Well, I didn't change much of what I did have settings at, just cut some segments/shortened.

Previously I was running 1 hour at 100% all colors, at 1% brightness.
    Then 1 hour, at 5% brightness, 100% all colors.
    3 hours of at 10% brightness, 100% blues/white, 10% on red/green
    7 hours at 50% brightness, 100% blues, 40% whites, 10% on red/green
    2 hours at 30% brightness, 100% blues, 20% whites, 0% on red/green
    1 hour at 50% brightness, 100% royal blue, 0% all other colors
    off

I've just changed it so I I cut out the first 2 hours, and ramped down the last segment to 30 minutes, instead of 1 hour.

CR Member

I'll try the first option. That means I'll probably be in your boat, and not starting my photo period until about 2pm, to turn on.

Leopard Wrasse was out until 7:15 today, I used a 1 time thing to get out of work & fed just after 6:30, she was still out. And I'll be getting out early both tomorrow and Saturday, and have Sunday off. Between the shifts in lighting times, and getting off able to keep her out with the tricks you suggested, I think I can get everything taken care of.

Then it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the coral, and seeing if it changes.

A couple other people on Reef2Reef suggested the new Ecosmart Live program, which I guess has some new features on it, and new programs that they've recently come out with based on Radion performance/observation/feedback/testing. I'll have to see if I can find out more about that, too.

CR Member

Here's what I've changed it to:

2pm - 11pm
    2 hours 30% brightness, 100% both blues/white, 10% red/green
    5 hours 60% brightness, 100% both blues, 40% white, 10% red/green
    1.5 hours 30% brightness, 100% both blues, 20% white, 10% red/green
    .5 hours 50% brightness, 100% royal blue

I'll keep a close eye on things, watch them for the next two weeks. I've got a similar thread over on Reef2Reef, and might try that new radion program out later on, on a similar sort of schedule. But I'll add 1/2 hour 2 weeks at a time, to get to 10 hours at least.

I downloaded the ecosmart live program, and it seems pretty in depth, they've added even more functionality to the programs, and more diversity/adjustability. I just don't want to play with it while things aren't going well in my tank. Not a good time to test something out, I'm guessing. I'd need something to compare it against. But I imagine I'll give one of those programs a go; they've even got a program for 'deep water' reef, in natural mode and 'shallow water reef', which were cycles taken from actual reefs and light parameters and stuff. Cool stuff.

(EDIT)
    ... And I just read your post. You must've posted that as I was writing mine ... I'm getting off work early tomorrow, so I will check ESL out then in more depth. I will play with it tomorrow, and see if it's something I want to go with. I suppose your logic makes sense. I was just thinking I'd rather get it right, and then see if I can make it better from there.

I am almost wishing at this point I'd gone with Halides or T5's. LOL. I know once I get it down I'll be happy, though. Again, thanks for the help, Chris.

CR Member

Well, I looked at what ES Live had to offer; some neat stuff, but, overall I think I liked my program better. Staying with what I posted above.

For people interested in upgrading to Radions, however, ES Live did have a nice 'acclimation' program, which allows you essentially to acclimate your corals to the radions by choosing a certain setting, and then ramping them up over a course of designated time. The nice thing about that feature is you don't have to do anything (i.e., continue to change program, etc...) the radions will do it for you, once the program is initially started.

I'll stick with this for a month, make sure it works and then might add on a half hour to my all blues, and half hour to my ramping down from afternoon segment as well, if things show any sign of improvement.

Lesson learned, though. At least I now know what coral bleaching is like. I'd rather learn that lesson now, than when my tank is stocked full of coral and good growth ...

Again, thanks everyone for your help.