[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Filtration??

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    dberrong - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Filtration??

I currently have two Millinium 5000 filters on my 90g tank. I'm about to add a protien skimmer. My question is if I keep the two hang on filters or is the Protein skimmer enough? When I look at the pix of most tank, I do not see the hang on filters that I have. Is that because they have a sump or protein skimmer?

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

are you running a sump??? if so then if you get a skimmer that is rated for your tank and have some good live rock in there. you will not need the hang ons. if your not running a sump you could leave them on there.
    fulltankshot 1 - Filtration??

I'm not running a sump, but I don't like the hang on filters. I'm still reading up on sumps and trying to decide if that is something I want to add. Price vs. need. Any suggestion on what an optimal filtration system would be for a 90g tank?

The reason you don't see that on most tanks is because they have a sump & a protein skimmer. The skimmer is in the sump. Many tanks today also have a refugium. Here's an article that should help you understand about how they work, and why.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

If you are keeping a reef tank, you don't need mechanical filtration. No pads, biowheels, bioballs, filter floss, sponges, etc. You don't need them as long as you have a well-planned setup. What I've been doing for years is called the Berlin-system. I have a big well-built protein skimmer (Euroreef is a very good brand), a DSB (Deep Sand Bed), a refugium full of macro algae, and a lot of LR (live rock). These are what filter my water around the clock and keep my tank looking great and my livestock happy.

From time to time, I'll siphon out any detritus that has collected in my sump. I clean out the skimmer's collection cup every couple of days. That's it. Water changes once a month, of course.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Is there a min. requirement for sump size for a tank? I guess I'm asking what size sump would I need for my 90 gal. tank? Also, is the refugium part of the sump or a seperate system all together? So a reef tank doesn't need carbon?

The bigger the better. If you have room to squeeze in a 4' sump & refugium, do it. The refugium area should be sized to be 10% of the display, or 9g in your case.

Yes, you can run carbon. I do for my mixed reef. I just pour 1.5 cups into a Phosban Reactor, and this is replaced weekly.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

29 gal tank should do a nice job, that what I have

here are some pics to give you some ideas

29g Sump/Refugium FTS
    IMG 0095 - Filtration??
    Skimmer & Filter Sock Section
    IMG 0098 - Filtration??
    Return Pump Intake Section & Phosban Reactor/Refugium Pump
    IMG 0097 - Filtration??
    Refugium
    IMG 0096 - Filtration??

HTH
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Return Pump
    CIMG0707 - Filtration??
    Return Manifold
    CIMG0708 - Filtration??
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

I think that would work for me and I can fit it under my show tank. All the plumbing is intimidating me right now. Where can I purchase a 29 gallon sump with all the traps all set up? Should I simply build my own since I'm fairly handy? Where did you get yours?

iVgOnMaD - I really like how you plumbed that together, using unions to easily disconnect the pump for cleaning / maintenance. You also made the right decision using some spaflex (the black tubing) going to the pump to avoid vibration issues.

dberrong - you can do it yourself. Here's an example of what you can do with a glass 20g Long:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last