[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Flow on a 70G Cube

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Default Flow on a 70G Cube

I have a 70G cube that I was using a MJ1200 mod. It had a pretty strong directional flow that was too harsh on my corals. I have softies, leathers and LPS. Recently, I purchased a Koralia Evolution 1050 and love the dispersed flow. My question is: Where is the best location to put it? On the side pane or the back? I have it on the back corner right now. I have 1 directed flow returns in each corner. I want to be sure and have enough surface agitation so i pointed it up. The frogspawn is very gently moving, not much at all. The blastos are fully distended and open. The yellow polyps are fully extended but not swaying. These are in the middle portion of the tank. The Duncans are at the bottom of the tank and they have a pretty good movement to them. Do you think I need another powerhead to point downward towards the middle of the tank or should I move it to the side?

Cubes are a bit different. I had a 90 long before and had them on each end of the tank. Just trying to figure this out. Wondered if anyone else has a cube with Koralias?

The picture I am including is when I had the powerhead pointed down but there was not surface agitation so I was concerned about not enough oxygen. The yellow polyps you can see are blown pretty much to the side.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Always learning, loving this hobby.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Personally I'd put it on the side pointing up. The flow will then hit the opposite wall and come back around. Just my .02
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Vicki

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I will try that in the morning. Thanks for the imput.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

First Name
    Vicki

Are they Koralia Evolution? How much are you thinking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have a 750 in my 30g cube... I have been thinking about replacing it with a 1400 since I have a couple left over from taking my 180 down recently...... if you want a 750 or a 1400 pm me and I will give you a good deal
    Ive been watching your thread. Looks beautiful and I love the leopard or spotted wrasse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tcp316; 01-05-2013 at 02:59 AM.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i have a 30 gal cube. my tank is set up for some difficult to keep fish that are not appropriate for reef tanks, but i do have 2 korailias (420 and a 240) in there. i keep them both on the back part of the glass, at the top, pointed slightly down creating great laminar flow. this keep food suspended for quite some time and makes the most out of my feedings.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

I am thinking of adding a 750 and putting both on the back. Then they will be hidden on the black wall. Here is video link to see the movement now with it on the side. I am just not sure there is enough flow. I know there is too much on the Duncans. I will have to move them

I was wanting to put them both on a wavemaker timer and see if it will make pulsing wave motion. Anyone tried this in a cube of this size before?
    Last edited by tcp316; 01-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.

First Name
    Vicki

Thanks to Chris, i got another Koralia Evolution 750. I was able to mount both on the back wall halfway down the tank and point up towards the surface. Good agitation on the surface now and the flow is dispersed nicely. At first I had them pointing toward each other. I used a baster and cleaned off all the rock. Man! Those things kept all that matter suspended forever! I was afraid I really messed up.
    I moved them so that they weren't pointing at each other and walla! Finally, the particles were able to move to the sump and go through the skimmer. Tank is perfectly clear now.
    I had too much flow at the bottom of the tank on my Duncans. I tried to move it over where there wasn't so much flow. That silly thing just would NOT stay in place. I tried 2 whole tubes of gel glue. Finally I got it in place. I really need to buy some epoxy but I don't want to make it permanent until I am sure it is where I want it. Those Duncans have slimed me, shrivelled up and are extremely unhappy at the moment. Hope they perk up soon.

It was really nice meeting you Chris and thanks for tips on my ATO.

First Name
    Vicki

Well that video didn't work.
    I also have a picture of the clear mesh screen I installed that Bay City Reefer made for me and the look without the canopy.

[IMG]20130112 205135 - Flow on a 70G Cube[/IMG]

[IMG]20130112 213747 - Flow on a 70G Cube[/IMG]

First Name
    Vicki

Got my wavemaker in today. The corals seem happier. The Duncans are fully open and you can see the green and their mouths now. The Frogspawn is gently waving and the polyps are are standing straight up.

I'm not sure how to load this video but will try. Hope it works.
    70G Cube video by muzik_lvr | Photobucket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last