[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

FOWLR questions

Bookmark and Share
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default FOWLR questions

Ok so as most of you know i am selling out of most of my coral and selling my main tank here soon but i have a question for you FOWLR people. I may want to set up a FOWLR tank lets say around 75g-90g tank, just some crappy lights to get me by. Question is am i required to have a sump or a skimmer at all even? Can i just get a larger hang on filter or canister filter and just use a couple koralias in the tank? I dont want to have to spend money on buying a new skimmer or getting a sump or worry about getting a drilled tank or overflows etc...

i figured i may be able to buy a 75-90g tank and stand cheap that isnt drilled, put some cheap lights on it, get a few used koralias, get a used hang on filter or canister filter for it and call it good, just get tons of liverock and a shallow sand bed or CC bed. Is it possible i can do this and go FOWLR?

I would like to do a dwarf tank possibly with dwarf angles and dwaft lions, possibly a few other fish as well (no tangs) any ideas??

rcombs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rickie

i use a hob skimmer and it rocks man, thinks that all you may need. and can use the hob canister for your carbon if ya dont want to invest in a hob refugium. but ya you dont need it drilled or anything with a sump. although it would dramatically increase your bioload if ya wanted to have a few more fish.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I had great success at FOWLR with a HOB filter running floss and carbon, a po4 reactor, a small bak-Pak skimmer some actinic and 10k shop lights and a few powerheads on my old 90 GALLON.. A skimmer is a nice addition, but wouldnt call it necesary. A skimmer is nice to have for uneaten food, dissolved organics as well as oxygen exchange in a FOWLR.

I would suggest, in the long run, adding a hob skimmer, but other wise, it sounds like you have a pretty solid plan to starting your FOWLR tank! I miss mine very much sometimes....good luck with it, and have fun!

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

While not necessary, when I had my FOWLR the entire dynamic changed for the better when I added a fuge. It just provides a natural healthy food choice for the fish.