[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Getting back into it, question about lighting.

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Zachary

Default Getting back into it, question about lighting.

Hello, I got out of the hobby for awhile due to moving around, among other unforeseen incidents. I am going to get back into the swing of things but at a much smaller size than my original 120g. I plan on doing a 40-50g breeder tank but I am wondering about lighting. I have about a $600 budget so I want to get the most bang for my buck. I was looking at the Aqua Illumination Hydra FiftyTwo HD.
    Aqua Illumination Hydra FiftyTwo HD

I would just buy one of these but I am wondering if it will have the spread I want for LPS and SPS that I want to put in the tank as well as an Anemone.

My other option would be, Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED
    Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED - Rapid LED and I would get two of these.

I like the features that the AI comes with but am worried about having the necessary lighting.

What would your guys opinions be? Is there a different set of led lights that would be the better buy?

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

what are the size dimensions of the tank?

I was on a budget too and bought a used 60 cube with sump and purchased this light from galaxy hydro on amazon for $150 and you can control it from an APP on your phone via Wifi direct. You can dim it by switches but program it fully from your phone so it worked perfect on a budget. I have over 25+ sps in my tank currently and everything is growing great. I just slowly ramp the lighting up (max i have at right now from noon-2pm is 80% blue 60% white) and ramp it back down for a sunset. My tank is 24x24 though so if you want a little bit longer tank you may need two of them.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s04

Quote Originally Posted by dumbderk View Post
    Hello, I got out of the hobby for awhile due to moving around, among other unforeseen incidents. I am going to get back into the swing of things but at a much smaller size than my original 120g. I plan on doing a 40-50g breeder tank but I am wondering about lighting. I have about a $600 budget so I want to get the most bang for my buck. I was looking at the Aqua Illumination Hydra FiftyTwo HD.
    Aqua Illumination Hydra FiftyTwo HD

I would just buy one of these but I am wondering if it will have the spread I want for LPS and SPS that I want to put in the tank as well as an Anemone.

My other option would be, Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED
    Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED - Rapid LED and I would get two of these.

I like the features that the AI comes with but am worried about having the necessary lighting.

What would your guys opinions be? Is there a different set of led lights that would be the better buy?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Is it $600 for lights, or for the whole build? I was always a DIY LED guy but recently I picked up a NanoBoxReef fixture and love it. You would need a Duo for your proposed build, so it would not be cheap.

Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Most SPS guys don't seem to be happy with LEDs when you talk with them.

The one hydra should be fine for a 50 breeder with LPS and zoas/softies. Aquascaping will have some impact on lighting since there will be some shadowing with a single light fixture.

BTW- Glad to see you getting back in! Where do I get more of the zoas I used to get from you?

Ocho Cinco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

If you go with the dimmable onyx, I have one for sale for $150. I'm currently using 2 over a frag tank. Let me know ow if you are interested.
    DO WORK!

CR Member
    First Name
    Zachary

I decided on going with A JBJ rimless 45g. The tank dimensions are 26.5" x 21" x 19. I bought a tank and stand from Preuss Pets last night. I wanted to stick with an in sump protein skimmer to get the best quality of water so I am having them remove the hardware basically the back panel and i'm putting two overflows in the top corners so I can have them drain into the sump I will be putting below the tank.

I am still debating on lighting. Led's seemed to work for me really well in the past for growing pretty much everything, I mean the sps didnt grow as fast as others but it did what I wanted, I mainly want high end corals that move quite a bit in this tank so im really lookin at lps, zoas, a few acros, maybe a clam and an anemone.

And as for the zoas I use to sell Jim, I think my friend might still have a few actually, I will contact him and see if he still has some that I can get and I can try to get some for you and I definitely want to propagate them in the new tank as well.
    Likes jolson10450 liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm running a Radion Gen3 on my 40B 36x18x16. At 11" from surface I'm getting great coverage. All LPS & Zoas mid to low level are doing great. High up SPS are doing great. I'm only at 41% max intensity
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Dislikes dumbderk disliked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@dumbderk that's the same tank I'm running.... I love it but mine is stock. I started off with one Kessil and recently added a second to eliminate some shadows to give more places for corals. SPS guys don't seem to like the Kessil, but they seem to grow zoas and other corals I'm keeping well.

Yeah I would like to get those zoas again. I barely remember what they look like...only that they were sweet and you weren't around to get them from any more.

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

The hydra 52 will be more than enough light for that size tank. I use the hydra 26 and have a full blown sps reef and everything grows and keeps color wonderfully.