[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Heads Up to Apex Owners - Email Issues

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Heads Up to Apex Owners - Email Issues

I'm guessing you guys that are actively working with your controllers may know this already. I don't mess with my controller much these days since I have it setup. But after having a minor incident this weekend, I realized I did not get the email alert from the controller. Apparently at the beginning of October, the gmx mail service, the one that Neptune essentially endorses, stopped working with the controllers causing emails to fail.

Neptune was able to make this work again with a firmware update. So, if you have not updated your firmware in a few months, you'll need to do that if you are using gmx as your smtp mail server. The new firmware 4.30 also apparently gets you setup for Fusion the new cloud based interface.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 12-01-2013 at 08:37 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I'm guessing you guys that are actively working with your controllers may know this already. I don't mess with my controller much these days since I have it setup. But after having a minor incident this weekend, I realized I did not get the email alert from the controller. Apparently at the beginning of October, the gmx mail service, the one that Neptune essentially endorses, stopped working with the controllers causing emails to fail.

Neptune was able to make this work again with a firmware update. So, if you have not updated your firmware in a few months, you'll need to do that if you are using gmx as your smtp mail server. The new firmware 4.30 also apparently gets you setup for Fusion the new cloud based interface.
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you have to reprogram after the firm ware update like the last one ?? Arghhh these computer guy's !!!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

No...but I didn't have to reprogram after the last one either. Granted each time you go through something like this it seems like a fair amount of dinking around to get it working.

When I borrowed yours and then got mine back I managed to get my old program loaded back in. The biggest issue was the energy bar when you plug it in wants to create another set of addresses. It took awhile, but after deleting and adding I got the energy bar address to match back up with the ones in my program.

This particular firmware upgrade took me a couple tries though. For some reason the webpages didn't want to update despite giving me the "successfully loaded" message. After a few tries I realized the Apex was showing up on the firmware update tool with the wrong port. I deleted it from the update tool and re-added the controller manually with the correct port and it worked fine.

One cool feature with this firmware is any variable outlet you have, it now gives a sliding scale to manually set the intensity. That will be really cool if/when they add it to the app.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

May be a silly question... but how does one update firmware on the APEX?

Thanks,
    Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

There is a firmware section on Neptune's website (under Support). You can download from there. Just follow the directions its pretty straightforward.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    There is a firmware section on Neptune's website (under Support). You can download from there. Just follow the directions its pretty straightforward.
    Ah hah! I was looking in the dashboard... duh. Update complete. Now to get some variable outlets...

Tom

FYI I believe GMX is not working again. They have another solution for this on their forums. I couldn't get the GMX to work and noticed it there.
    90 Gallon Mixed Reef
    165 Gallon GLA - On Order

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I just checked it and got an email from gmx servers. I'm running the 4.30_BE13 firmware. I believe there is another firmware update (4.31_CD13) that is newer now...does that break it again?

They are getting close to launching Fusion which is why they are releasing so many firmware versions right now as they get the bugs worked out. Once Fusion is online, I don't think we will need to deal with gmx emails anymore email alerts are built into the online system they are building.

I am running 4.30_BE13 as well. When I didn't get emails I looked at the forums and it said GMX wasn't working again, so I had to use another provider to send email (SMTPcorp or something). Maybe it was just with new GMX accounts. Just wanted to bump the thread, mostly to make sure people check their emails like you did
    90 Gallon Mixed Reef
    165 Gallon GLA - On Order

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I think that notice they have posted is the same one they originally posted. But I'm glad you posted just in case...would rather take a second to make sure its working then assume it is and not get an email alert.

At one point I had my controller setup to send me a test alarm email once a day to give me a status. Maybe I should re-implement that code just to be on top of making sure it works. I got complacent with it working so well for so long and took that code out.