[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

How much skimmate do you get in 1 day?

Bookmark and Share
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default How much skimmate do you get in 1 day?

I used to get the collection cup on my ER skimmer about 1/4full of dark skimmate per day.After adding a dedicated skimmer chamber to my sump,the collection cup fills up w/dark skimmate almost every day.Cleaning the skimmer's throat/collection cup 3 times a week has also contributed to the increased performance.So,How's everyone's skimmers performing for them?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

RS Berlin Turbo here, the collection cup is tied to a 1 gallon jug, but needs to be emptied weekly. Always try to get around to cleaning the throat cup out at least every other day.... It does make a difference.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I try to get as close to 1 cup per day as possible due to advice from Anthony Calfo when he visited... of course, he also said..."the proof of how well it works is in the mud". I have an ASM g1x w/recirc mod and am extremely impressed.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Jason, I have an asm g1 also, i have it in its own section in the sump and the refugium is full of LR and I get maybe a cup full every 3 days, I check my parameters every week and they are perfect!!!!! So the better the water quality the less skimmate you will get out of the skimmer correct???
    fulltankshot 1 - How much skimmate do you get in 1 day?

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I dont think the skimmers performance has much to do with water quality.There will always be organics that need to be removed out of any reef tank.Even in a frag tank w/ no fish there will be a constant supply of organics.Live rock,LS,bacteria,algae,and all the other countless lifeforms that live in our tanks contribute to this "organic load".