[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ice Cap 660 Issues

Bookmark and Share
    Rook - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Ice Cap 660 Issues

I have an older Ice Cap 660 ballast running four T-5 bulbs. The setup has been working for a good 8 months or so with no issues. Now, it is not working. If I unplug the ballast and then plug it back in, it all lights up but quickly shuts off. I'm guessing some type of short, but I'm not sure how to figure it out.

The ballast is a good 10 years old. The lights are 8-10 inches off the water surface. The wiring harness is also 10 years old and was used before to run two VHO actinics when I used to have halides. The T-5's are the only lights on this tank.

Any ideas?
    MMC 2012. Attend Michigan's premeire Marine Aquarium Conference.
    http://www.midwestmarineconf.org

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I have an older Ice Cap 660 ballast running four T-5 bulbs. The setup has been working for a good 8 months or so with no issues. Now, it is not working. If I unplug the ballast and then plug it back in, it all lights up but quickly shuts off. I'm guessing some type of short, but I'm not sure how to figure it out.

The ballast is a good 10 years old. The lights are 8-10 inches off the water surface. The wiring harness is also 10 years old and was used before to run two VHO actinics when I used to have halides. The T-5's are the only lights on this tank.

Any ideas?
    could possibly be the harness but coralvue (i think) took them over because they went out of business so they will repair icecap ballasts for $60 if you wanted to get it repaired and i believe on a repaired ballast they will give you a new wiring harness.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Rook, I sent back 2 icecap ballasts to be repaired and got them back in a few days. Here is a link of the repair @ Coralvue : Repair IceCap Ballasts
    And yes it is $60 if the ballast is newer. One of mine was too old and too shot needed the whole circut board replaced and it cost $90. That is still a heck of a lot cheaper then new ones, plus its recycling.
    Heidi

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

50/50 on ballast or wiring. unhook your wires from the end caps one at a time and clean and replace them. cut and strip new ends if you have too. make sure the actual endcaps are making connection too. if that does not work find someone running a 660 close by and plug yours into their system to be sure it is the ballast.

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Rook, I sent back 2 icecap ballasts to be repaired and got them back in a few days. Here is a link of the repair @ Coralvue : Repair IceCap Ballasts
    And yes it is $60 if the ballast is newer. One of mine was too old and too shot needed the whole circut board replaced and it cost $90. That is still a heck of a lot cheaper then new ones, plus its recycling.
    Heidi
    so..... coralvue seems to only make a 660. if you send an icecap 660 back and they cannot fix it i can see the $90 and here is a new vue 660. so what do they do with the returned 430's in the same situation? give you a vue 660 at $90??????