[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I'm sick of these huge Tunzes. What can replace 'em?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Do you think I could get away with the one MP60 in my 6' tank? 750vs1000. Plus, not sure how two controllers would work to make the wave. Can you daisy chain them so they work in tandem?
    I think a 60 would be overkill. You wouldn't be able to run it anywhere near full output. MPs communicate via wireless - You can sync (or inti-Sync) the pumps along with numerous other variable power settings from ReefCrest (high energy/max variability) to lagoon or anything in between.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

dentdominator - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    A

I think all you will need is a tunze wave box and then if you want you can slave it with another pump.

You have plenty of pumps. Try to locate a used tunze wave box with a controller without the pump then you will be ahead of the game.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I really liked how your's looked, Chuck. Very cool how the wet side was barely taking any room in the tank. While I was there I should've asked for a demo, lol.
    No prob swing over and I'll give ya full demo and we'll rap fish stuff before you spend the $$$. Honestly,I was thinking the same as you about the 60 but am glad I went with the 40/s, the 60 would have been way to much.yup I said to much power,Mark it down it doesn't happen often.The wireless controlers work by you dedicating a master and a slave ph.You can choose your max power and wave patterns ,it's pretty simple,you can and even have them synch together or not.Also you might want to call ypsi FD they beat all online prices when I got mine, LMK and I'll make time to answer your questions and show what ya need to know.You won't regret this purchase/If you look at the fts in my post you hardley notice the 40's the uniballs took a tom of room and I no longer worrie about stray voltage from PH too

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lol. I have a closed loop, but the Dart just doesn't do much with those four spouts. I thought about upgrading to a barracuda, but the darn wattage is killing me.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

What kind of corals do you have with the two 40s? Maybe I'm thinking overkill and it will be enough.
    I have a mixed reef consisting of everything! I run my pumps on slave reef crest. However im thinking of moving the other mp40 and running it antislave. The vortechs are my best purchase so far. I ran koralias before and will never go back. And the mp's are upgradeable and you can rebuild them!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

I have a MP60 that you could borrow to get a feel for the pump.

I don't think I would be happy with only one on a 6 footer, I had it setup that way once and I added pumps on the other end. But everyones setups are different as are expectations.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
    The MP40s move water differently than the Tunzes. I run a few of both in various tanks - The best analogy I can provide is the Tunzes move a stream of water....whereas the Vortechs seem to move virtually the whole water column.

The only downside I see with the MP-40s is that they can be a bit louder when run near full power.

That said, I think you'll be amazed at what 2 40's will do in your tank.
    Agreed. Vortechs are far superior to Tunzes IMHO.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Agreed. Vortechs are far superior to Tunzes IMHO.
    Very well put Andy!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff R.Solution
    Awards Photo of the Month - Emerald Eyes Photo of the Month Contest

i have a 24x24x72 tank. two mp40's work wonders. i have them connected to a Neptune WXM. this gives me the ability to switch the modes that the pumps are on hourly. i also set the pumps to sync and anti-sync throughout the day. my water patterns are always changing. personally i would steer you away from the 60's unless your tank was 30+ deep, too much undertow
    [imglink]http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/sig.php?n=flynnstone[/imglink]
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

i would suggest a line on one wall of 5-6 MP60's. also remove all sand, rock, coral, fish, and any other lifeforms you would like to keep other than saltwater(most of that will have to go to).

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    I have a MP60 that you could borrow to get a feel for the pump.

I don't think I would be happy with only one on a 6 footer, I had it setup that way once and I added pumps on the other end. But everyones setups are different as are expectations.

AJ
    Very cool of you, AJ. I'm still dealing with the $ part and wondering if I could use the money elsewhere...in the tank of course, lol.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last