[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I'm sick of these huge Tunzes. What can replace 'em?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Well, LMK if you would like to try it out. hopefully in the next few months it will be in it's intended location.

There are lots of great ways to spend $$ in these tanks.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Very cool of you, AJ. I'm still dealing with the $ part and wondering if I could use the money elsewhere...in the tank of course, lol.
    In all honesty Tom, I probably would have done the same thing except for the dollars and the noise. I love the look of those pumps. As you know my, tank is in my family room and do to the inwall construction I really hear nothing. I was afraid of the inducing a buzz into the room. When I first got my wavebox it made a noise, about drove me crazy.

Then there is the money. There are so many corals I would rather buy and having already made the tunze investment, well you know the rest your going through it righ now. If you test it out let me know about the noise. I can't believe it would still be an issue. Your setup is close enough to mine to be a good test.

I have incorporated the pumps into my design. If I switched I would have to leave the wavebox in now as it is completely covered by monties and part of the design. There are ways of doing it. It just takes experimenting with hiding the pumps. Also make sure your not adding flow for flows sake. One can be driven to extremes in this hobby because of hardware marketing fairly easily. Just ask my wife. Either way I look forward to your decision and your results.

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Hey Don,
    After careful consideration and some experimenting, I removed all the tunzes from both tanks, cleaned them with vinegar and brush, put only 4x6100's opposite each other (in the 135), hooked them up to my 7095 and turned them on. I forgot how much fun this controller can be. I went through quite a few variations and found one that gives me a nice 1" wave. I feel like I'm moving the whole column of water now as opposed to the random flow I had previously. Then I switched from interval 1 to sequential and all the detritus that was jammed into places came out and into the water column. When that settled down I switched it up again and another storm started.

I feel like I have much better control of my flow and I agree with you on the 'too much flow' trap. I was in it. Too many powerheads, aimed poorly, some controlled, some constant on. What a mess. Simple is better. Thanks for the perspective.

I'm going to stay with my tunzes and save up for that glass 240 to replace this acrylic eyesore.

I really like how you have your's incorporated into the live design. It's a non issue in your tank and I don't even notice it. Great Job Don!

With only four in there and against the black background...They're still huge, lol, but I'll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    In all honesty Tom, I probably would have done the same thing except for the dollars and the noise. I love the look of those pumps. As you know my, tank is in my family room and do to the inwall construction I really hear nothing. I was afraid of the inducing a buzz into the room. When I first got my wavebox it made a noise, about drove me crazy.

Then there is the money. There are so many corals I would rather buy and having already made the tunze investment, well you know the rest your going through it righ now. If you test it out let me know about the noise. I can't believe it would still be an issue. Your setup is close enough to mine to be a good test.

I have incorporated the pumps into my design. If I switched I would have to leave the wavebox in now as it is completely covered by monties and part of the design. There are ways of doing it. It just takes experimenting with hiding the pumps. Also make sure your not adding flow for flows sake. One can be driven to extremes in this hobby because of hardware marketing fairly easily. Just ask my wife. Either way I look forward to your decision and your results.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Slapshot, You would most likely not like the noise. Anything from nothing is often too much.
    The 60 is louder than a 40, and actually it's a bit different kind of a noise too. Sometimes I can hear it ramp up when I'm upstairs. (tank located in basement bathroom).

Tom, glad to hear you have retooled your pump setup and are happy with the results.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thank you AJ I am afraid you are right. I am crazy about not hearing anything. I have gone to extremes to be sure I don't. As it is I still hear the wave box at times and it dies make me crazy. I think those are great pumps but I heard the low growl a while ago and I know it would not work for me. You guys without this mental issue are Lucky.

Tom way to go. It's funny but I used to have 5 pumps in my tank and now only run 2 6102s. Corals grow just fine and the flow is even better as I have some spots with low flow and some with high. It allows you to keep different corals. The wave box does help appreciable.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3