[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

JBJ ATO users

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default JBJ ATO users

Hi everyone, Well, I am looking into ATOs and have a question that JBJ ATO users may be able to answer. A feature I really like about the JBJ ATO is that the controller will shut off the water pump if the float switch is activated for longer that ~3-4min (this feature is available on Tunze ATO but not units from autotopoff.com). If a low gph water pump such as the Tom's Aqualifter is used, it seems like this back up could ensure the tank will not overflow (assuming water level is not set close to top of tank). So for example, a snail crawls onto the float switch, pushing down and activating the switch to turn on the pump. The tank fills with water but not enough to overflow the tank in 3-4min. My question is, when a float switch has been activated for ~3-4min and controller shuts-off the pump, how is the ATO unit reset? Can you reset the unit by simply lifting up (deactivating) the float switch, or does the ATO controller need to be manually reset (like, unplugged and plugged back in)? I would prefer the latter requirement of manually resetting the unit controller. My concern is this: Extending the example with the snail from above, let's say the snail which was on the float switch for 3-4min (causing the tank to fill, but not overflow, and the controller to shut off the pump) steps off of the float switch, allowing the float switch to lift/float-up and turn off/deactivate. But then the snail decides to immediately crawl back onto the float switch, pushing it down. Will this action of the float switch being pushed down again be able to now turn on the pump? If so, the tank might then overflow since the starting water level would be higher because of the previous time the snail activated the float switch. So, my hope is that the JBJ unit requires some manual reset of the controller after it has shut-off due to the float switch being activated more than 3-4min. It seems the Tunze ATO is more fail safe than the JBJ, but the ATO sensors need to be in my display tank. Currently I maintain water level in my standard 29 gallon tank at the bottom of the black plastic rim (~1inch from top of tank). A lower water level is less aesthetically pleasing and I do not think my HOB skimmer works as well at lower water level. For the Tunze sensors which use large magnet tank attachments, I think that the highest water level that could be maintained would be ~1/2 inch below the black rim. If a single float switch is used from with the JBJ unit, I think that the water level could be set a little higher. Are there other factors I should be considered pertaining to reliability (tank not overflowing) for the JBJ and Tunze ATO? If water level can be maintained where just below that black rim of the tank with the Tunze, I would go with that unit. Thanks in advance for your input.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

The JBJ float switch comes with a cover of sorts to keep out snail access So far it's worked wonderfully for me! It's not in the pic but what I did was super glue the float housing to the underside of the tank trim. A lot more stable then the supplied suction cup. This also allows me to keep my water level a little higher.
    I love this JBJ ATO! I'm also using the Tom Aquatic's lifter pump with airline tubing. I run the top off water right into my HOB fuge, which then enters the DT
    IMG 0008 1 - JBJ ATO users
    IMG 0012 1 - JBJ ATO users

Personally I didn't even know of the auto shut off~lol.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Yes you have to reset the jbj after it times out by unplugging it. You can also adjust the timeout time. Also use a slow pump like the aqua lifter and you should be fine

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Thanks, that's the info I wanted to hear!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    Thanks, that's the info I wanted to hear!

Oops sorry..to much of the wrong info

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Oops sorry..to much of the wrong info
    The info and the pics you provided were actually very helpful. I did not think of directly glueing the float switch to the glass and I may need to similarly try that to achieve the water level height I want. I have seen someone attach/glue the float switch to a mag-float before. What type of glue did you use? I have a "thin" super glue that I use to attach some of my frags, but may be something "thicker"/stronger would be better.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    The info and the pics you provided were actually very helpful. I did not think of directly glueing the float switch to the glass and I may need to similarly try that to achieve the water level height I want. I have seen someone attach/glue the float switch to a mag-float before. What type of glue did you use? I have a "thin" super glue that I use to attach some of my frags, but may be something "thicker"/stronger would be better.
    I just used super glue gel and attached it to the trim underside, not the glass