[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

JBJ Auto Top off - pump

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Default JBJ Auto Top off - pump

Just ordered a JBJ Auto Top off
    2 questions
    Wondering what everyone is using for a auto top off pump.

Also how is everyone configuring it...

I'm thinking I would rather have it shut off it water gets too high in the sump then worry about running the top off tank low.
    Figure worst case would be burn up a pump? but then again with the limited time it will run it may not burn it up?

THOUGHTS
    THANKS

CR Member

I use a tom aquatics aqua lifter dosing pump on my jbj ato. they're like 12 bucks on marinedepot.com. I had to use mode A with sensor 2 unplugged an sensor 1 in sump. due to the fact that I had a small top off reservoir. I used it on a 75 gallon with a 35 gallon sump only lost like 2 gallons a day though every system is different. If you can fit a sensor into your top off reservoir you can use mode A and put sensor 1 into your sump and sensor 2 into your top off reservoir.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Oh and i've forgotten to refill my top off reservoir a million times with no ill effects on the pump lol though u do have to unplug the jbj ato and plug it back in over and over till it refills your aquarium. Just make sure to keep on top of your top off

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

+1 on the aqualifter (as long as you don't have too far to pump.) They are quiet, cheap and can run dry. I've had them run a couple years without fail.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 01-17-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Is there a difference in the auto top offs made by jbj? Reason I asked is I was looking at them and there are some for 75 and another one for 99

Is there a difference?

Well for some reason this link didnt work. But I go to amazon and type in jbj auto top off and there are two different types. One for 75 and one for 99

Amazon.com: Used and New: JBJ Automatic Top Off System W/Float Sensors

Also did a google search and this one says 100. Is it the same?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CG4Q8wIwAw#

CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dad View Post
    Just ordered a JBJ Auto Top off
    2 questions
    Wondering what everyone is using for a auto top off pump.

Also how is everyone configuring it...

I'm thinking I would rather have it shut off it water gets too high in the sump then worry about running the top off tank low.
    Figure worst case would be burn up a pump? but then again with the limited time it will run it may not burn it up?

THOUGHTS
    THANKS
    I use aqualifter... so far so good... super quiet and problems

I use a Liter Meter for topoff and it is awesome. I use it without a float, which is great for peace-of-mind.

I use a Bubble Magus for calcium and Alk dosing as well.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

CR Member

that is weird i looked on amazon.com for 75 and it looks exactly the same as the one I got from i believe liveaquaria.com for 99. I wonder if the amazon one doesn't come with the sensors? though it could just be a good deal. the control box is exactly like the 99 dollar one.

First Name
    Jim

Thanks for the responses - I'm just getting setup so playing it safe sticking to middle ground for now, but would love to get a Tunze Osmolaters or a Liter Meter some day....

As far as ATO pumps...
    I have a Aqua lifter but its really slow - figure the JBJ will turn off before it tops off? I can try that to start off.
    Maybe mine just need to be cleaned? It did work great for getting that last little bit of water out of my overflows when I was setting up and needed to get water out of my overflow.

I did some more looking and found a little Eco plus 66 submersible runs 9 bucks? Thoughts?

Troy
    I hope it come with sensors,
    I got it for 75 from the "Pet Store???? I looked it up on there web site shows 2 sensors?
    I couldn't see a difference, if it doesn't come with the sensors, I'll be returning it.
    Marine Depot also has it for around 75 and Aquacave for 79 seemed to be going rate?.
    I bought it off Amazon as I had a 25 dollar gift card - hope I don't waste end up wasting it in return shipping
    I'll be calling them tomorrow to be sure - thanks for the heads up

CR Member

I did some asking around and a friend of mine has the 75 dollar jbj ato he got it from a store through amazon. it did come with the sensors/float switches. so you're in the clear. heck of a good deal too. You'll be fine with the aqua lifter the jbj ato is pretty sensitive so it only adds a tiny bit of water throughout the day. It runs from like 10-15 mins max ( i could be wrong on the time) then turns off for safety and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to restart. I don't know how it'd be on a very large system that loses a lot of water say in the 100 gallon plus range. Of course it's not as sensitive as the tunze osmolator but it also costs half the price so pick your poison. I don't know anything about Ecoplus pumps but myself I'd be wary of using a pump that's not designed to be cycled on and off. some of them will get destroyed from that or even run in reverse at times.

First Name
    Jim

Thanks 75Mixer,
    It shipped Monday so hoping its here by Friday.
    That will give me all weekend to try the Aqua lifter with it.

Bucket tests result to follow.

I also have a ten gallon tank for the Top off water to start , will probably go over to Petco and buy a 15 - 20 gallon before the $1 gallon sale is over. Right now its going between 5 gallons and ten gallons a week, so 10 not gonna cut it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last