[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Just a few questions about t5 lighting.

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Just a few questions about t5 lighting.

How old are your bulbs before you replace them?

What do you consider to be the best t5ho bulb out there?

Can you use a t5vho lamp in a t5ho fixture? Or are they 2 different fixtures?

What t5ho combination is best for the over all health of the corals?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    How old are your bulbs before you replace them?

What do you consider to be the best t5ho bulb out there?

Can you use a t5vho lamp in a t5ho fixture? Or are they 2 different fixtures?

What t5ho combination is best for the over all health of the corals?
    1. One year or less
    2. ATI hands down
    3. Match the wattage of the bulbs to the wattage of the fixture
    4. ATI Blue +, Aqua Blue Special, Purple +, Blue+

1008 1 - Just a few questions about t5 lighting.
    facebook - Just a few questions about t5 lighting.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I change my bulbs yearly. I believe ATI's makes the best bulbs. The colors pop and great par. Some fixtures overdrive the bulbs like the TEKS and ATI's. However you don' t get the bulb life out of them.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Depends on how long you run them. I run two blue bulbs in the am and pm for a few extra hours each day, so I replace the blue bulbs every ten months. I have noticed a pronounced detioration near the end of the bulb life, and don't like replacing them all at once, so I start replacing bulbs at ten months (blue morning and evening bulbs) and then one a week until they are all replaced by the eleventh month. I tried going for a whole year on bulbs and the last month didn't do my corals any favors.
    I agree that ATI are the best bang for your buck in the bulb department.
    I don't believe you can run HO bulbs in a RO fixture.
    I have used an equal number of ATI Blue special and Blue Plus bulbs and been satisfied with growth and appearance. I believed that a "whiter" bulb was necessary for good coral growth. Based on what I have read, I am no longer convinced of that. I believe the PAR values to be the primary consideration, and the appearance of the tank is a matter of personal preference. I am starting an experiment with three Blue Plus and one Blue Special bulb over my frag tank. If I don't like the results I will swap out one of the bulbs for another Blue special. I currently run four Blue Plus and two Blue Specials over my display tank. Not too white, not too blue, good growth.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MyNemesis View Post
    Depends on how long you run them. I run two blue bulbs in the am and pm for a few extra hours each day, so I replace the blue bulbs every ten months. I have noticed a pronounced detioration near the end of the bulb life, and don't like replacing them all at once, so I start replacing bulbs at ten months (blue morning and evening bulbs) and then one a week until they are all replaced by the eleventh month. I tried going for a whole year on bulbs and the last month didn't do my corals any favors.
    I have used an equal number of ATI Blue special and Blue Plus bulbs and been satisfied with growth and appearance. I believed that a "whiter" bulb was necessary for good coral growth. Based on what I have read, I am no longer convinced of that. I believe the PAR values to be the primary consideration, and the appearance of the tank is a matter of personal preference. I am starting an experiment with three Blue Plus and one Blue Special bulb over my frag tank. If I don't like the results I will swap out one of the bulbs for another Blue special. I currently run four Blue Plus and two Blue Specials over my display tank. Not too white, not too blue, good growth.
    I just know you meant to say VHO right? lol

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Ok so I'm running ATI's 1 blue special~1 blue + 1 pruple + and 1 stock atenic cause I ordered 2 specials instead of 2 + an my lamps are 6 months so I got some time. I like to see I'm on the right track. Thanks peoples!!!

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

VHOs are the old T12 bulbs many people used to use and many still use in conjunction with metal halides and run actinic bulbs in them. T5s are regular output (like for use in your home) or High Output. I suppose you could add overdriven to the mix.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyNemesis View Post

+1, awesome answer MyNemesis. Bulb lenght is always based on usage time. I also agree, and you make an excellent point, not to change all of your bulbs at one time. Staggering the replacements is great advice. Bulbs which have greatly diminished in their effectiveness that are all changed at once could cause polyp retraction and possible bleaching.

2 thumbs up.

Mucho Reef
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 08-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.